Search the forum,

Discuss Switching from oil to electricity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greire

I'd like to switch from oil fired heating to electric. My question is, would I need to replace my boiler or merely have it modified in some way. Apologies if this is an idiotic question but I really don't have a clue about stuff like this! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will need to replace it

Why do you want to change?
Have you balanced your costings?

Well, to cut a long story short, I have had no central heating or hot water in my home since March. My husband lost his job and we just haven't been able to afford to buy oil. All the oil companies want us to pay upfront in a lump sum. Latest prices (I called them today!) £360 for 500l of kerosene. I don't have £360 and never will at the moment. If my heating was electric, I could pay by monthly direct debit which would be manageable. I'm just so tired of being freezing all the time :eek:(

Fair enuff. I would of thought you would be paying more for electric

Have you thought of LPG. It will cost you £65 a tank and you can buy them as often as you like. And I would of thought you can convert most oil boilers to gas, for less than fitting a full electric install

I hadn't thought of that. If it meant that I could just convert the boiler rather than replacing it, it's definitely worth investigating.
Thank you so much, you've been really helpful. Have you any idea who I would need to contact to find out more about doing that?

Firstly and most importantly will be the boiler manufacturer. If they say you cannot convert then you won't be allowed.

Then once you get the go ahead to convert you want to ask the boiler manufacturer for a list of their approved installers or come on here and ask

It's not safe to do a DIY job on gas.

What boiler do you have?

Think you may need to change your boiler

I was afraid you were going to say that! It's not do-able at the moment but it's something to aim for. Either that or move out of Scotland to somewhere warmer!
Thanks again for all your help; much appreciated.

Depending on your circumstances and access to fuels. It may even been worth looking at solid fuel

There are many options outthere. I doubt many will cost you less than a tank of oil

all the best and sorry I couldn't help anymore

But speak to Worcester just to make sure if It can or can't be done

I'm not trying to be funny or nasty but if you tootle down to your local CAB they might know of a grant you can have (either to afford to pay for oil monthly or similar) or a full or part contribution to a change of boiler and/or heating method. If the CAB cannot help, a phone call to your council might produce something (e.g. reduction in council tax or perhaps they have grants).

First of all lpg will be more expensive to run than oil. Secondly an electric boiler is only very small and you may need two or more to provide enough heat, also your electric system may not be man enough for two boilers and I have known people have to convert to 3 phase electricity. Ask an electrician first, my guess would be stick with oil. I pay direct debit every month for my oil with my supplier. I used to have lpg so I am speaking from experience rather than an installer or lpg supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Switching from oil to electricity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock