Search the forum,

Discuss Suitable tool to remove undersink nut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noxide

Hi There,

I'm trying to replace a kitchen sink tap that has a seized up cold water handle. The existing tap has a large hexagonal nut under the sink holding the tap in, could anyone tell me what tool I would need to remove this? I was thinking maybe a basin wrench, but the one i've seen in B&Q doesn't look like it would adjust wide enough to remove this.

under_sink.jpg

Thanks!

:D pita depending on how tight it is you can try holding the brass nut (warning it might cut you if sharp) and turn the tap anti clock from top

if its tight use a pair of pump pliers to grip and turn anti to undo

A pair of 7" Footprints shifts it if you can manage to hold them in right spot.

Thanks for the replies guys, chalked i'm not sure that Basin Wrench will work - i think the nut is bigger that 32mm..

Best, what is a "footprints"? does it go by another name perhaps

I think it's something like a 47mm box spanner you need

Thanks for the replies guys, chalked i'm not sure that Basin Wrench will work - i think the nut is bigger that 32mm..

Best, what is a "footprints"? does it go by another name perhaps

Footprints is the correct name for British made short arm grips. They have been made for decades. They come in sizes of 6", 7", 9", and bigger. Brilliant wee tool if you get used to it because it fits in awkward places and you can let it slip & tighten back & forth. Better than normal grips for tight spots. I will post a link on here.
I just have read over 15 million pairs have been sold world wide!
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/FOO9007#.Ve3zPcR4WrU

Last edited:
I'd vote for a box spanner,
Remove the flexible hoses from the tap body and Stick a box spanner on it or pair of water pump pliers

I use the rothernberger box spanners however if your nut is too big you may have to try halfords or something like that. The box spanner will save you knuckles and probably half the day!

I use the monument basin spanner as the jaws are thinner.
It will get into smaller spaces

63844.jpeg

I didn't find using a chisel very easy, not enough room behind the bowl to swing the hammer

For someone who knows how to undo without basin wrench asks about the hammer and chisel ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Suitable tool to remove undersink nut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock