Search the forum,

Discuss Suggetions please to replicate this set up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Want to create something similar to this at home to keep my cat in the garden (he got badly injured in a fight.) It looks like a pretty simple set up but not sure where I'd get similar materials to make something.

A friend is going to help me do it and he suggested just some plastic pipe over a metal pole would do the same thing. I'm sure it would but the beauty of this one seems to be it spins so easily that is adds to the deterrant. Watch the videos to see what I mean.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Spinning Paddle Cat-Proof Fence System

plastic waste pipe 11/2 dia min 2" better

guess shoving a bearing in each end and fixing to the fence somehow

Why we thinking 2" better? That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure why. I guess the bigger it gets the more force it requires to spin it. But it could be cut into smaller sections to counteract this.

You don't know of any industrial use of similar x shaped/profiled plastic lengths with the potential for fixing points on each end like the ones in the link do you? That way may be able to source ones very similar to the ones used.

I looked in b+q and the sell lots of L shaped plastic lengths but no x shaped. And not obvious how you'd make fixings to the ends to make them rotate anyway

no sorry was thinking 2" for easy of finding should do the same

if you want to make something tho

square box and glue / fix the L shape on each face

Run some square line downspout over 1.25/1.5” wastepipe? Fix wastepipe in 1.5m sections with downspout over the top?

upload_2019-7-14_22-1-1.jpeg

Sorry, sense of humour, it's late!

Here's an idea that looks similar to what's been said.

images

That's neat and right up a Plumbers Street.

upload_2019-7-14_21-58-8.jpeg

I hope the cat is OK by the way, is this the one that lost an eye the other day? or was that someone else's?

What about a plastic piece of facia 6" below the top of the fence on your side, angled down at 45 degrees?

Last Plumber have you got a bigger version of the second pic you posted or any other pics of it/more info? Looks pretty good but can't quite see what's there other than the pipe

This is a close up of the set up in the link. Anyone got any idea where I could get something that looks like the x profiled lengths or even what such a thing might be called if it appears elsewhere for other applications?

Marino_Paddle_Kit.jpg

Yeah maybe. Perhaps I think starting to get a bit heavy.
Despite how it looks in the pic I think it's made of plastic. Almost looks like you could set it spinning with a push of your little finger.

Frustrating because I bet there are lengths of stuff that look just like that to be bought for some application somewhere but I can't find them.

Tried googling

finned abs lengths
finned plastic lengths
finned tubes
finned tubing
paddle tube
paddle finned lengths
x shaped plastic lengths
x profiled plastic lengths

Yeah maybe. Perhaps I think starting to get a bit heavy.
Despite how it looks in the pic I think it's made of plastic. Almost looks like you could set it spinning with a push of your little finger.
True, so back to plastic pipe with 3 lengths of the L trim glued/ screwed on?

Yeah I guess something like that.
Currently I think I will go with plain plastic pipe and see if he manages to get over it. I suppose as long as it spins/cannot be grabbed hold of, it'll do the job

Why we thinking 2" better? That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure why. I guess the bigger it gets the more force it requires to spin it. But it could be cut into smaller sections to counteract this.

The larger dia the better as the animal will not be able to hook its 'arms' around the pipe...

I did something very similar for my custom bird feeder to discourage the pigeons. I used 12mm studding and cut 20mm long pieces of 15mm plastic plastic pipe and slid them over the studding. When the pigeons land on the studding they can't transfer their weight forward as the pipe they are sat on then rotates. Was hilarious at first to see then toppling over. The buggers soon adapt tho. ;)

Why do you want the fins watertight?

I would have thought plain pipe would work as well if not better.

However; try googling “aluminium extrusion star shaped” I got this
upload_2019-7-15_22-57-9.jpeg

I think it’s some sort of heat exchanger - ideally you want to find a scrapped “thingumejig “ that has lots of these in it - good luck with that!

A0CB8CD2-237F-49D1-99C5-B64501E75FCD.jpeg

The larger dia the better as the animal will not be able to hook its 'arms' around the pipe...

I did something very similar for my custom bird feeder to discourage the pigeons. I used 12mm studding and cut 20mm long pieces of 15mm plastic plastic pipe and slid them over the studding. When the pigeons land on the studding they can't transfer their weight forward as the pipe they are sat on then rotates. Was hilarious at first to see then toppling over. The buggers soon adapt tho. ;)
The 'arms' comment tickled me!

Last Plumber have you got a bigger version of the second pic you posted or any other pics of it/more info? Looks pretty good but can't quite see what's there other than the pipe
I found it on google images. I think it is just tube threaded through 2" waste and secured with saddle clips.

Reply to Suggetions please to replicate this set up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock