Search the forum,

Discuss Stubborn blockage won't budge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Viper Gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello All

I was called out to a property to clean a fully pumped open vented s plan heated system.

After the clean I found that one or two of the rads upstairs woukd not heat up. One rad in particular had heat coming to it on the feed but the return was competely blocked.

We flushed the system from the boiker flow and return. We flushed from the rad in question and we flushed from two other alternative time locations.

Basically we found loads of large rush particles in the system but still we could not clear the blockage in the return on the upstairs circuits. The upstairs circuit was also 15mm.

Can anyone recommend any alternative methods for cleaning pipes from these crunchy and crispy iron oxide deposits.

We flushed with chemicals. With boiler on to 45degress. Took rads off wall too and fluahed through in garden. And even ran mains pressure water into the rerun to try and budge the block. No luck.

Any further suggestions?

Cheers
VP

From your description, I suspect that the system either didn't have any inhibitor or had a leak, either in the system or a faulty float valve, that meant fresh water was entering via the FE tank.

Anyway, in my experience, it's possible for a length of pipe to become almost filled solid with sludge. Attempting to flush the system is the coup de grâce that finally blocks the pipe at which point you are out of luck. Don't bother trying to flush the pipe it will be blocked solid. Just cut it out the blocked section and replace it.

You can usually confirm such a blockage with a strong magnet.

Thanks very much. I'm hearing pretty much what I thought. Was hoping some one here might have had a very small ferret that could have run along inside the pipes and cleared the blockage. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out at the next expo. Lol

Thank you for your responses.

Thanks very much. I'm hearing pretty much what I thought. Was hoping some one here might have had a very small ferret that could have run along inside the pipes and cleared the blockage. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out at the next expo. Lol

Thank you for your responses.
A strong magnet moved along the pipework assisted by vibration can breakdown sludge, but you have to consider where the grunge ends up . Cenralheatking

I don't have a small ferret , but a strong neodymium (N52) magnet might, might break up the ferrite slug if you could get access. I bought one from China (fleabay) for about a tenner and it pulls the braces out of my daughters mouth and stops my water meter at the same time.

Reply to Stubborn blockage won't budge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at time it kind of working, only for one at time (and partially hot), depending on the priority in the system. We contacted Valliant for assistance...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock