Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Stuart turner, shower pump in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Hi There,
    I've replaced a monsoon shower pump, with Stuart turner- negative head, twin supply - for a shower and basin and wc, in loft conversion....and all good I thought but, customer says that pump activates randomly every now and again- has anyone else experienced this? What could the cause be? I thought maybe a leak/drip on tap/shower or wc- all connected to S P .?
    No relevant clues with ST faults..
    Am I on the right track or is it something else- going back next week only.
    Cheers for any pointers

2. NickH

NickH Active Member

Being a negative head pump, I think you're right to be thinking some sort of loss of pressure within the system. Could be a faulty pump.

3. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

It the toilet overflowing?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I would also think toilet could be overflowing, or perhaps flush valve letting water past and into pan.
    I wouldn’t want a pump connected to toilets and would use mains supply, if possible.
    The precharge in the expansion vessel of the pump also has to be ok, or pump can start up occasionally

5. Tim S

Tim S New Member

It's unlikely to be a fault with the pump...An outlet letting by or poorly routed pipe work is the most likely cause..Can you clarify...you say you've replaced a monsoon with a ST universal (neg head)...Monsoon IS a ST pump!...why was it replaced?..Did the installation work correctly before the pump was replaced?.

6. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Well GOOD point- the pump was a good few years old and it didn't automatically turn on/off, so cust, was switching the power on/off as needed. So, I suggested replacement as I think that you can't repair, the repair kit cost more than a pump! I maybe wrong. It's not something I have a lot of experience with. I've changed expansion vessel on another job and checked the flow switches.
    I have asked customer to check wc for let-by and the pipework I can't check as it's mostly hidden, needless to say it's to an added extension so there will probably be some quirky pipe work.
    Yes Monsoon is ST and new pump is the new version- not monsoon>