Search the forum,

Discuss Strong oil smell from oil boiler (Heatslave, not sure how old..doesn't look very new) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevinjones30

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice. My wife and I have recently moved into a rented house that has an oil boiler system. We've never had oil before; but have noticed that there is a very strong smell of oil emanating from the boiler.

The boiler is located in the kitchen underneath a work surface (imagine like an under-counter fridge), and the smell seems to come from the warm air that rises into the room from the space above the boiler and below the counter. It seems to smell more strongly when it has been firing. There is a ventilation thing directly behind the boiler on the outside wall which does seem to emit hot air when it fires.

Apparently there was quite a large oil leak about December 2009. The landlord did send a technician out a couple of weeks ago; he ruled out any visible leaks from the system, and concluded 'it might just be a smelly boiler'. I wasn't sure what to make of this as he agreed when he entered the property that it shouldn't smell as strongly as it does, and it was only after he couldn't find any leaks that he said this.

I was hoping to get some more advice on what to do as our landlord doesn't seem to be particularly inclined to do much about it; and in addition to being concerned about potential health issues (should we be?) it's making our clothes and furniture smell.

Really appreciate any advice any of you can offer!

Kevin

Re: Strong oil smell from oil boiler (Heatslave, not sure how old..doesn't look very

Keep complaining - oil boilers hardly ever smell unless there's a leak. Unfortunately unless the leak's within the boiler casing somewhere, they can be really difficult to find.

If there was a large oil leak the oil is ment to be removed as is any contaminated substance (ie screed soil and the like) the smell won't go till the oil does

Re: Strong oil smell from oil boiler (Heatslave, not sure how old..doesn't look very

Bloody landlords!!!!
Oil boiler as has been said ,should not smell at all.If its combustion gases its bad for you,if its an oil leak its bad for you.Ask OFTEC!
Tell the tit that youve had to switch it off because of the fumes.I would anyway.Then remind him of his legal responsibility to have the boiler in a safe working condition,which it obviously isnt

I have an oil boiler, and it started smelling pretty bad of fumes when it was on. Im gas safe but havent got a clue about oil, so called someome out to have a look (started taking it apart and realised it's pretty different to gas). All it it needed was a good service and an injector changing, which apparently should be done once a year, after that it was all fine.

whoever has got the best nose, get on your knees and sniff the floor, if its from the leak it will soak into anything, as gray sais, into concrete, through tiles, under lino, up walls, behind and in skirting, under kitchen units, what a nightmare!

I'm guessing if your land lord is like most others, tight fisted or sick of getting the **** taken out of them, he would try to do minimum to put things right, was technition asked to just look for leaks or service it, was he a technition or a bloke wearing spurs?

And why did the previous tennants move out? Is ita managed letting.

Good luck with it anyway

Did this get resolved? Sounds like the same problem as I'm getting :-(

Get yr boiler engineer to check air/oil mix against manufacturers specification. It may need adjusting. Another possible cause could be baffles needs cleaning or replacing or there could be an obstruction in the flue. This is what I would do if I couldn't find an actual oil leak.

If there was a large oil leak in the room the course of action at the time should have been to inform the insurance company and they would get the boiler removed and the concrete floor removed where it had been contaminated. Everything that was contaminated has to be removed. I have seen it plenty of times and got quite a bit of work from it. It wont go away It is a health hazard and can make you really ill you ned to get on to the Landlord.
There is however a chance that their is an oil leak it may be in the wall but given what you said previously I doubt it.

This threads almost 5 months old ... :p

The fumes have gone to my head.

.................and its nice to have an oil thread..............even an old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strong oil smell from oil boiler (Heatslave, not sure how old..doesn't look very new) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock