Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Strange water flow in taps in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. jaffeling

jaffeling New Member

I don't know why the water flow became so strange in taps, when I turn the taps on and off back and forth, the flow will became stronger, but every time i need to do it again after turned off the taps :(

To all pros, any idea?

Thank you!

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Cartridge need aligning mate. Easy enough job if you are confident enough. But make sure you turn off the hot and cold water.

3. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

I'm glad Harvest gets it as I thought it was a 'non-rising spindle' type mechanism with worn O rings in need of lubrication, or with water leaking past the o ring making it difficult to turn on... until I saw you turn it anticlockwise and it again stopped running. Not seen that before!

• Like Like x 1
  4. peter0504030201

peter0504030201 New Member

common problem with taps valves , build up of corrosion / no grease inside, its like metal on metal better to replace the valves with theses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Flomasta Threaded Tap Glands 24mm x ½" 2 Pack (3279F)

View reviews (40)
    [​IMG]
    View all Q&A
    8mm spline. Threaded tap glands to fit most ½" taps. Suitable for taps that require a threaded collar.

More Info View all Flomasta Brassware Sundries

5. Harvest Fields

How on earth do you know that cartridge will fit that tap. ????

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. peter0504030201

its not cartridge its a tap spline , this valve will fit most taps , I'm a plumber I know what I'm looking at , I do these jobs all the time

7. Harvest Fields

Understood. But aren’t all splines different and not all heads fit on to them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. peter0504030201

that's right mate , there are loads of different valves , the amount of teeth , valve dimensions . but there are a lot of taps that take standard valves, I got 5 different types of ceramic valves an tap splines on my van an they do most taps if not just change the taps an get some scrap

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

:D made a new friend have we

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

op tbh best to change the set of taps easier in the long run and could be cheaper than trying to find the right insert/insides

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Harvest Fields

You know me too well mate.;);)

12. peter0504030201

that old chestnut:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

I have aligned them before mate and they have lasted another 12 months before having to change them. But if the OP wants piece of mind then you may be right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ShaunCorbs

yep unless there branded and dont just need a washer and re seat then i change the taps

been to a few 6 months - a year later and the taps failed again normally change them the same as fitting new cartridges as sometimes its quicker so it just costs them the taps extra etc

• Like Like x 1
  15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

When you say " aligned " - do you mean taking the spindle apart and putting it tight together again?
    I discovered the reason why the works come apart and simply greasing them won't usually be a long term fix. It is the lower O ring seal that wears and allows water to pass into the internals. That is why the hot tap is usually the first to give trouble

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1