Search the forum,

Discuss Strange problem - mains water running for 10 secs every few mins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Got a strange issue and hoping someone has some ideas please.

The other day I needed to switch off the stopcock to work on my toilet. Water was off for an hour or so and since then there is a strange noise every few minutes. It sounds like water running in a pipe and is coming from the same area under the sink as the stopcock. Also in the upstairs airing cupboard I can feel the water pumping through one of the pipes (think it's a cold water mains pipe but not sure).

I have a combi boiler so nothing going on with a loft tank. Tried turing the boiler off just in case it was related (it's not) and have also bled radiators (there was a fair bit of air in the system).

The only thing that stops this intermittent issue is turning the stopcock off again.

Any ideas? thanks in advance!

Hi - thanks but it's not any of the toilets, I checked them. As I say the sound is coming from near the stopcock - the toilets are silent and are not running (well one of them does run a bit sometimes but that's just the inner plug not always sealing properly after a flush - just flushing again solves it) and they are not overfilling...

Found the problem and it WAS one of the toilets running that was to blame (sorry Scott_d)!!

The plug is leaking just a little bit and the water level is only dropping a tiny amount which is why I didn't notice it.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange problem - mains water running for 10 secs every few mins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock