Search the forum,

Discuss Stop tap location advice?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. I’m piping up a kitchen sink in the next few days but the old stop tap is a few feet away from the new sinks location. It currently comes up through the floor in what looks like old 1/2” copper. The problem is whether to cut the pipe work low level and do away with the old stop tap and put a new one inside the sink unit. Or just leave the old one as is and put a secondary stop tap inside the unit? I don’t really like having to many fittings inside a house before the stop if I can help it. Also they haven’t been able to locate there main shut off outside for some reason. The old tap works fine but they would like to put the freezer in front of it so it won’t really be accessible. Any advice would be helpful please? Cheers

Hi guys. I’m piping up a kitchen sink in the next few days but the old stop tap is a few feet away from the new sinks location. It currently comes up through the floor in what looks like old 1/2” copper. The problem is whether to cut the pipe work low level and do away with the old stop tap and put a new one inside the sink unit. Or just leave the old one as is and put a secondary stop tap inside the unit? I don’t really like having to many fittings inside a house before the stop if I can help it. Also they haven’t been able to locate there main shut off outside for some reason. The old tap works fine but they would like to put the freezer in front of it so it won’t really be accessible. Any advice would be helpful please? Cheers

One stopcock is preferable to two, it can create a few issues further down the line. Are you not able to locate the boundary stopcock yourself? You could use a freeze kit, but wouldn’t be able to solder near it. If you can get it in the cupboard then that’s what I recommend.

I’m not to keen on 2 stop taps but I’d fancy this over having a fair few joints before the stop tap. I can probably locate the outside tap myself but I haven’t had much chance since they asked but as I say it still requires some joints before the stop tap.

i would be happy leaving the old one aslong as its in decent condition your only installing a new one due to placement issues (cant get to it easily)

One stopcock is preferable to two, it can create a few issues further down the line. Are you not able to locate the boundary stopcock yourself? You could use a freeze kit, but wouldn’t be able to solder near it. If you can get it in the cupboard then that’s what I recommend.
what issues could it create?

Reply to Stop tap location advice?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock