Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Steel gas pipe in ceiling space in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Mark keenan

Mark keenan New Member

Hi guys may have job coming up to lower a ceiling but there is a steel gas pipe coming across part of ceiling coming from upstairs to downstairs cooker . Would I be able to leave the pipe above ceiling if vented or have to renew back to meter and bring new pipe down below lowered ceiling ? Thanks

2. Vee

Vee Plumber GSR

What type of space is above? Voids need to be ventilated.

3. gingalig

gingalig GSR

Hi, Im afraid you'll need to be GSR for that sort of discussion, If you're not I suggest calling a local engineer.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is it welded or screwed ?

5. gingalig

gingalig GSR

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

He's wanting advice if it's ok to board over the gas pipe

How does he need to be gas safe registered to do this???

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gingalig

gingalig GSR

I really do appreciate the various bits of advice over the time I've used the site Shaun, but I seem to got your goat on this one, I read it as, should the op renew the gas pipe to the meter if ventilation didn't make it conform to regs, I was mistakenly as it would appear thinking that the op was suggesting that he may undertake this, which would constitute gas work, in my limited experience as an engineer Ive come across various handy with a monkey wrench types, that would just see it as just changing a bit of pipe, of course advice about boading over a gas pipe is sensible to look for, I was just suggesting he had a GSR look at it, my understanding of the use of the site is that you dont give out gas advice unless in the GSR forum. Anyway apologies if I misunderstood the question. As I said I'll get back in my box, and stop casting nastursuims.

8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Ducts / voids etc , I wouldn’t have answered it either

9. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Are you leaving the original ceiling and floor boarding above in their original place