Search the forum,

Discuss Start-up Shopping List in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tapsworcester

Dear Forum,

I have just spent the week at Worcester Bosch doing the Oftec-50 and going back for assessment in the near future. This has probably been requested before but I would be grateful for a 'shopping list' of all the equipment I would need to set-up servicing oil-fired boilers. Any tips on where to get what would be appreciated. Thanks

Whats the course like. Does that enable you to work on and install oil.
I know nothing about it and just wondering.

Anything with the Worcester Bosch stamp on it has to be good and it was. The Oftec 50 costs only £200 for 5 days training and this includes the Oftec books, 5 good meals and as much coffee as you can drink. I have yet to do the assessment but they knock £150 off the £500 price tag, so in other words you can join a competent person scheme for only £550. Of course you then have to register with Oftec and buy all the necessary equipment.

How much is oftec registration.
Just done my LPG and a lot of the villages out where i am have oil / lpg.
Where was the course.
Are you also gas safe reg ??

So... not a fan of Worcester Bosch then? I am only saying that they would be silly to offer second rate training when they dine off high price but high quality tag.

Dear Forum,

I have just spent the week at Worcester Bosch doing the Oftec-50 and going back for assessment in the near future. This has probably been requested before but I would be grateful for a 'shopping list' of all the equipment I would need to set-up servicing oil-fired boilers. Any tips on where to get what would be appreciated. Thanks

No point in reinventing the wheel.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/o...8376-tools-required-oil-boiler-servicing.html

How much is oftec registration.
Just done my LPG and a lot of the villages out where i am have oil / lpg.
Where was the course.
Are you also gas safe reg ??

Its about the same as gas safe. I should really know exact as I have just paid out for it but I have also just had to pay out to sit my ACS and oil quals. Very expensive month!!!!!!

Dear Forum,

Go through the top tips post its full of loads of goodness

According to Grant there is a 5-year registration and a 1 year which costs £275. As I understand it there has to be a registered company and a registered technician. All subject to VAT of course

Not wanting to sound rude, but isn't the oftec 50 course just an optional entry level beginners course? Really designed for those who are total beginners to oil and is not a qualification to do anything.
Think it is just a course for to give the very basics before they do any of the 101, 105 & 600 qualifications. The 101, which is a proper course, is very basic from what I remember.
Don't need a lot of it anyhow.

Oftec 50 is only dipping your toe in. Still the other courses to do.

As a follow up to my earlier posts. This week I have passed the assessment for OFTEC 101, 105 and 600. It was not easy when the only experience I have of working with any boilers was gained on the Oftec 50, but it is achievable. Many time-served plumbers will mock this route into plumbing but it is what it is- I will be looking to gain experience working with established plumbers, I won't be trying to install anything on my own. For £550 it has been worthwhile training which I hope will make my employment more attractive to local employers.

Good luck mate but your not a plumber. What you are doing is not plumbing. Same as gas meter fitters and kitchen fitters with gas quals. Different game mate

As above ^^^^. I have a friend who did the same course and passed it. He is highly capable with just about anything, very clever, well educated and yet superb with working with his hands on all mechanical or electronic stuff. From welding, car engines to highly complex electronics, but he still can't do plumbing.
Edit, - And good luck also, you might as well join the crowd. :smile:

Last edited:
As a follow up to my earlier posts. This week I have passed the assessment for OFTEC 101, 105 and 600. It was not easy when the only experience I have of working with any boilers was gained on the Oftec 50, but it is achievable. Many time-served plumbers will mock this route into plumbing but it is what it is- I will be looking to gain experience working with established plumbers, I won't be trying to install anything on my own. For £550 it has been worthwhile training which I hope will make my employment more attractive to local employers.

How on earth did you get oft50 ,101,105,600 for the grand price of £550.00????

Hi Phill I qualified back in june, and am still buying equipment and stock when I have some money to spare all I can say is it mounts up with my oftec quals new tools etc I reckon I have spent at least £4500.00 thier is so much to fork out for I just hope its worth it !:beatnik:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Start-up Shopping List in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock