Search the forum,

Discuss Speedfit Stockcock and Copper push fit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seb.Pickering

Hi peeps.

Had to change a stopcock today. Whilst searching for one at my local supplier i noticed they sell 'Pushfit' types. Are these any good and are there any pro's to using them?

Also the same question for 'copper push fit'

The one thing i can see being a issue with copper push fit is surley you would have to cut it out if/when it ever leaked as theres no pull ring to take it off?

Bit of a bizaar question i know, but one has wonders whilst looking at different types of fitment.

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should bring this up about stop cocks,just been reading an article in this months plumbing and heating mag about the new regs coming out around 2011 details of regs can be found at
Lifetime Homes Welcome to Lifetime Homes
anyway the type of stopcock they are requesting fitted in every property is a switch type,see link below
welcome to surestop

looks good,but I do,nt know about all this plastic coming in,if unit not used for a five ,six years will it still work

Plastic, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG, that's what I think of plastic, plastic age hardens and goes brittle, I saw a video clip of good thick Nicol (A French maker of plastic fittings gutter etc, take my word for them they are good,or use google to see for yourself) plastic guttering that had been up for about 10 / 15 years after a rather savage hail storm, shot to pieces the only thing still as good as new was the beaded roll lip on the front of the gutter, soil stacks are the same

You can not beat cast iron especially if its the ductile cast iron, poly gas mains how many of them have been hit by a digger and caused a panic with a gas leak, a diggers bucket will bounce of a ductile cast iron pipe

With a bit of luck I will not be around when all is falling apart, for the over use of plastic and push-fit joints, and there is no proper plumber to show you how things should be done

All the lead work skills have just about been lost, the same with copper and coppersmith plumbers

not over here:)

You never had them in the first place:), that is anybody under 60 was never taught to pull a lead bend, open up a lead branch, wipe a branch joint on 4" lead, the pot ladle and splash stick method;)

Puddle, when i was finishing my training last year, my instructor gave us a breif hours lesson on these surestop stop cocks.He said in the situation of the slightly elderly people or people who would struggle to turn it off, he would offer this as a replacement. He spoke highly of them for easy of use, but as you say how long will it last being plastic?

I myself have even looked at these. Do they replace the stopcock alltogeher? or do you have to have both?
It says in the diagram that its controlled by water pressure yet i can see 2 wires coming from the corde, is this me?

Anyways, push stocks and push fit copper :D ??? Any thoughts?

Sorry was a idiot there. Re - reading the diagram i can see it has to go with the existing stopcock. Tey something else to go wrong then realy !

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding these surestop unit, the company are doing free training on this.
You get to build the unit and fit and test it to see what its all about. Ive booked myself and a mate onto this course ( as its free ) in sept to see what its al about.

We all love free things :)

I don't care if they become permissible under new regs, I will never willingly fit a pushfit or plastic stop tap.
These sure stop things may be handy as a secondary means of isolating the water supply but I will never fit them as a replacement for brass fittings.

You never had them in the first place:), that is anybody under 60 was never taught to pull a lead bend, open up a lead branch, wipe a branch joint on 4" lead, the pot ladle and splash stick method;)

sorry to say your wrong by at least six years
im fifty four and i was taught it at colledge never had to use the skill in anger though
however on my first job after finishing my apprenticship i had to roll wipe cap and linings onto three quarte lead for new water mains
so i made my self a bench using two new kitchen base units and a board did the job took the top of the makeshift bench and lo and behold found the plastic drawers in both units had melted from the heat from the blow lamp
ooops

I don't care if they become permissible under new regs, I will never willingly fit a pushfit or plastic stop tap.
These sure stop things may be handy as a secondary means of isolating the water supply but I will never fit them as a replacement for brass fittings.

As far as the information goes on them so far, there are a 'secondary' item as the normal stopcock is there aswell. Take a look at the picture in the post above, thats how it will be ' i presume'.

This is why im going on there free coure, to see what its all about, and what the point is.

:)

sorry to say your wrong by at least six years
im fifty four and i was taught it at colledge never had to use the skill in anger though
however on my first job after finishing my apprenticship i had to roll wipe cap and linings onto three quarte lead for new water mains
so i made my self a bench using two new kitchen base units and a board did the job took the top of the makeshift bench and lo and behold found the plastic drawers in both units had melted from the heat from the blow lamp
ooops

I found that the techniques used on large sized lead pipe to open it up for a branch, stood me in good stead, when doing a 4 x 4 x 4 double branch or any other large bore copper pipe work, treat it like lead but with the need to keep it warmer, and the "bent bolts" cool, used to "burn" two holes in the pipe, then with the draw knife link the two holes together, then start to work away opening up the branch

Going back to lead work, I was about 19 at the time ('60 or '61), and my mate asked me if I had a 4" bobbin, and carpet knee pad
these bobbins were not set up like at the tec, with a brass follower on sash cord, but on steel 5/8" lift cable with a mould of lead cast on to the cable (bit of 2" copper about 3" long was the mould, the cable had a couple of nails through the cable to stop the follower from moving, the end of the cable protruded about 4" past the follower with a "mouse" cast on the end of the cable to assist the follower around the bend being pulled, and stop it knocking ahole in the back of the bend)
When I said yes he said bring it in tomorrow and we will have a race, tomorrow came, and we used our setting out boards, (half a sheet of hardboard), to set out the bend, we checked each others setting out, filled the lamps, lit them and then when the lamps were burning well, my mate said GO, with that he nearly flattened the lead pipe, heated it up so the spit when you spat on it bounced off leaving a brown mark on the lead, then with carpet pad on knee he started to pull the bend, worked it over with the bending stick, passed the bobbin through the bend and started again, within 20 minutes he had pulled a 921/2° bend, then he spent the next 10 minutes until I had finished, first "flapping out" the dresser marks on the lead with a bit of sheet lead, then at first with sacking tallow and a bit of soft sand, then with just sacking alone, the bug*er polished the bend until it looked like silver
His words to me when I finished, were not bad, not bad at all matey, words of praise from him, seeing that he had been on the tools all his life and was close on to 63, it broke his heart to see plastic coming in to the trade

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi peeps.

Had to change a stopcock today. Whilst searching for one at my local supplier i noticed they sell 'Pushfit' types. Are these any good and are there any pro's to using them?

Also the same question for 'copper push fit'

The one thing i can see being a issue with copper push fit is surley you would have to cut it out if/when it ever leaked as theres no pull ring to take it off?

Bit of a bizaar question i know, but one has wonders whilst looking at different types of fitment.

Thanks in advance.
used speedfit fittings a while back seemed to work great at start but
after about a year or two the problems started and sadly the company
will not stand over their fitting currently out of pocket about 30,000
and know at least 10 other plumbers in same situation

used speedfit fittings a while back seemed to work great at start but
after about a year or two the problems started and sadly the company
will not stand over their fitting currently out of pocket about 30,000
and know at least 10 other plumbers in same situation

got to say i dont like speed fit they definatly let bye after a while ive got two tees under my stairs which look like pump valves used to but ive never seen it happen with a hep type fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Speedfit Stockcock and Copper push fit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock