Search the forum,

Discuss Special Socket for Tap Cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silvergrowler

I have a tap cartridge I need to replace - Its a 1/4 turn tap and I have the correct replacement part Manufactured by San Marco/SMR from the official spares supplier BUT a normal socket won't fit as the cartridge has just 2 flats rather than being hexagonal and I can't get a spanner across the flats as the tap body completely surrounds the main part of the cartridge only leaving the splines of the spindle outside the body. The body is about 15mm in diameter and the flats take a 12mm spanner

Is there a standard tool for this and if so what is it called and do you know of any suppliers? The local plumbers merchant who I normally get parts from is usually very helpful but wasn't able to help in this case.

The tap is a Franke Verbier which was only available for a short time. Its only about 2 years old.
DSC_0166[1].jpg

I agree, - covers over the tap cartridge normally come off to work at cartridge.
You can get exploded drawing from internet of your exact tap.
One place you can get it is from "Central Services" for new Franke taps, or spares.

Just looked at their exploded drawing and if this is same tap, then it looks like covers maybe aren't removeable. -
http://www.central-servicesuk.co.uk/shop/section.php?xSec=370&xPage=1

Last edited:
That is the tap and sadly the covers are definitely NOT removeable. Another issue with the tap is that the spout labelled 2 in the diagram eventually becomes unscrewed at the base in use after swivelling it after turning it a few times and has to be retightened. The visible part unscrews from the part with the seals that fits into the main body.

Quality and design of taps, even well known brands like Franke, are very poor.
You might be able to tighten the spout parts together nice and tight and silicone grease the seals and bushings to make no resistance.
I am sure you will get some sort of spanner to fit new works. An open end spanner same size as narrow width across the square faces of new tap works will perhaps let you tighten works straight on.
Are you sure those works are identical to original? I see no reason that works are not the type for a socket. As far as I know there are only about 3 types of ceramic works for Franke taps and all I think are socket suitable.
Central Services can give you expert advice by email & it would help to send a photo of tap. Or just ring them.

Last edited:
not ideal but maybe if you buy a cheap ring spanner that fits it you could grind it down so that it will fit the "hole" and then put a screwdriver thru the ring part to try and lever it closed, same idea as a stopcock spanner in a way if you get me?

Thanks to all replies. I have contacted Franke and Central Services and have been sent a special socket which is basically I understand a 12MM socket but machined out to fit the flats either side of the cartridge and accommodate the rounded parts whilst fitting in the tap body. Why the cartridge doesn't have the normal hex shape (like the images in snoopy8888 link) to fit a socket spanner I don't know. I don't know if the special socket should have come with the tap.

Tom - I can post the image again or take some more if it would be of use to anyone for reference.

I have the spares. Its the tool to unscrew the cartridge I needed, which is now sorted. its a 28 spline by the way. Maybe Ill try and find a hex head equivalent

Thanks again for everyone's help.

A shifting spanner is all I ever use , simples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Special Socket for Tap Cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock