Search the forum,

Discuss Some have plumbing thrust upon them. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflowers47

Chief DIY Person, Cook & Bottle-washer
:001_icon16::rofl:Hello all,
10 months ago my lovely handyman husband had a stroke. Although never a wilting helpless female and quite a good DIYer in my own right, I am coming to realise just how many jobs around the home were quietly and efficiently completed by aforesaid husband handy man.
I am struggling with some jobs! Will someone tell me if, when replacing our oil tank sight tube (.....rather non-sight tube), I just yank the tube out (stop wincing, experts), after removing the tube sheath, or is there something I should undo first? There is a wheel thing at the bottom near the base of the tube.......what's that for?
I am quite willing to play the helpless damsel in distress role on this occasion. Just tell me what to do, some big strong hulk out there!xx
:rolleyes2::001_icon16::wub::rolleyes2:

Hi and Welcome along.
Please whatever you do don't yank it. It will probably have a jubilee clip at the base. If so undo this. Make sure the lever or plunger is not open to allow oil into the site tube. Next turn off the tank isolation valve. Once done you will need a stanley knife (or similar) to cut the sight tube off. Once cut off feed the new one over the support. You may need some pliers or grips to push the new sight tube into it. Just be patient and it will go fine

Hi Wildflowers and welcome to the forum's.....where are you based petal...lol regards Turpin:welcome:

welcome wildflowers! Plenty of expert advice on here. none of it from me I`m afraid!

Never mind, someone will help. Thanks for the support to a new ninny member!

Thank You! My husband says he looked at it himself before his stroke and was a bit puzzled by it.
I will look in the daylight and see if I can see what to do. I know not to pull the plunger out, but I don't know where the isolation switch is located. Will this be the stuff near the house or at the base of the sight tube. I do appreciate your help.......hubby is threatening to have another stroke if I proceed without further advice. Married 50 years....would like to hang on to him a bit longer! :yes:

Hi Wildflowers, Isolate by turning wheel clockwise until it spins freely. A gentle pull of the wheel away from the valve is sometimes necessary to ensure closure. Plunger also stops oil entering sight tube but this additional isolation is recommended.
Also recommend a change of filter. Tankmaster have an online video that will help.
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE PUT ONLINE LINK.

This one joi

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKoxiUyn2PRok4E2rrFk5zDin13Wlsv-ID98DB9e-9WeBoGfq2BOXlnE31-ZScGz-tRsuBjR9vmgdWAKtFQRukCXcahOdA&v=53Vy1qytciI[/video]

Hi Wildflowers,
If you have not already changed the sight tube, maybe take a couple of photo's and post up on here to get some advice on the 'job in question' as there will be various configurations available.
As a side note have you asked you boiler engineer if he can change this for you or even your oil supplier ?? they might even be able to fit an electronic level gauge to the existing tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Some have plumbing thrust upon them. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock