Search the forum,

Discuss Some advice about a Thermostatic Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I need some help, I'm really hoping you guys can give me some advice!

I'm a 2nd year plumbing apprentice so feel stupid having to ask, but because this is so important I'm worrying I may make mistakes and I need to get this right!

My Dad has End stage cancer and is at home. My parents currently have regular taps with a shower attachment. When he wants to wash he sits in the bath and showers.
He's struggling setting a nice temperature everytime he wants to wash, plus he's wanting to switch off the water, then put it back on again during his time in the bath, but obviously having to re set the temperature everytime isn't ideal when your sat in the bath getting cold.

He recently came back from his time at a hospice where they had the thermostatic mixer showers and he has asked me to install one.

Im worried about water pressure etc, if it will all be ok. I should be fine fitting it myself, it's just ensuring I have the right one. I don't want to make a mess of things and have my parents without a bath for any longer her than is necessary. I'd also like to fit one that causes least disruption to the current set up, I'm not wanting to go into the walls or anything.

Any advice on what to buy, any tips would be amazing.

I'll attach a picture of the current taps in a moment.

Thank you all!

What system does your dad have cat ?

Here is the current taps/shower

IMG_3053.JPG

I need to check tomorrow. I've never really taken any notice of my parents set up before.

They live in a masionette and have the ground floor and basement. I know they have a tank in the kitchen (ground floor) and a cylinder in a down stairs cupboard.

I can find out more tomorrow when I visit.

I need to check tomorrow. I've never really taken any notice of my parents set up before.

They live in a masionette and have the ground floor and basement. I know they have a tank in the kitchen (ground floor) and a cylinder in a down stairs cupboard.

I can find out more tomorrow when I visit.

A picture of the tank would be amazing

Also it might be worth getting hold of the docs if he hasn't got an occupation therapist and seeming if the council can help with his washing facilities

Also it might be worth getting hold of the docs if he hasn't got an occupation therapist and seeming if the council can help with his washing facilities

We've had all sorts of things installed such as rails etc, but problem is everything takes ages to get sorted. It has to go through various channels and is quite stressful for my mum.

I'm hoping I can just sort it quickly for them so no one needs to worry.

Thanks again Shaun

For a very quick and simple solution, just fit a new thermostatic bath mixer to replace that old bath mixer.
Aqualisa therm bath mixer works superbly on gravity supply, so should do any job, but there are cheaper alternatives around £100 that no doubt will perform fine if on higher pressure systems - like combis.
Edit, - Chalked beat me to it.

Unless it's a fortec cylinder

As Shaun says above . Check the system first. Is it a council flat? As these can have a combination cylinder ( square box in cylinder cupboard) these have very little pressure and would not give a good flow on modern mixers.
If it's got a combi, a cylinder with good pressure, or a mains fed cyl. Your in luck

Amazing......thank you :)

I'm really hoping it's going to be as easy as just replacing current taps with mixers as suggested above :)

I'll report back tomorrow when I've looked at the tank and cylinder.

Thanks again

That's great you should be able to get away with just changing the tap for one like the lads have said above

Thank you! Just what I wanted to hear :)

I’ll get one ordered for them asap.

Would the one above from Victoria Plumb be much different to the Aqualisa one? It may be too expensive, but if it’s going to be loads better I can try and sort it out.

Thanks again :)

If you can go for a branded one if anything happens later on you should be able to get spares for it

VP stuff tends to be cheap imports or end of line and don`t expect much in customer service in a few years time, go to your local supplier.

I mentioned the cheap one. But the aqualisa will give a slightly better flow rate.
You could use the vp one and if it lasts 5 years, just get another.

If the VP ones are as bad as the ones a customer of mine bought from Victorian Plumbing, they could well be terrible.

You will probably be shocked at the cost of the Aqualisa mixer.
But to be fair to it, although I don't like a lot of their showers, their bath mixer has good flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Some advice about a Thermostatic Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock