Search the forum,

Discuss Solved: how to open very very old water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Solved by snowhead: "Just pull on the chrome head I believe, you may not need to remove the centre".

Hi guys,

Would you please share your knowledge on how to open the following water tap. It is an very old tap, one I never saw in my life. Most of the internet DIY are for newer versions which I know how to handle, but this one is out the timeline:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The problem is the dripping tap and I have no idea how to open it.

Last edited:
Very very old?

Are those the right pictures? Looks reasonably modern to me. I'm going to guess at mid 90's. Are those chrome-plated plastic tapheads that just pull off?

those are metal chrome-plated tap heads and there is a blue plastic one that fits right into that hole.

i tried opening it with big screw, with tweezers maybe to grab the screw head, but no results.

Last edited:
Observations.
That's not old, I doubt it's even half my age.
The wall tiles look British, 150mm x 150mm (6"x6" old money), but the tap looks continental.
Maybe an early import or brought over by the Continental householder.
Or this is not in the U.K, maybe Colonies?

Looking down the top with the centre cap missing there are 4 nylon claws that appear to hold the top on.
I'd say a sharp pull on the top and it'll release.
The claws may have been locked in by the centre cap.

snowhead, it is in Germany and from the looks of the apartment is no sooner than 90's as Ric2013 puts it. I still think it is a very old installation as I never saw one with no regular screw in those tap heads.

so I have to pull those nylon claws in order to release the tap head?

images

That's a slightly more modern version but similar.

Reply to Solved: how to open very very old water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock