Search the forum,

Discuss Solid fuel central heating problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably if you have a twin coil the circuits are hydraulically separate, do you have 2 small tanks in the loft or where ever along with 1 large tank for the hot water?

Left out this bit of your question Nostrum: as far as I know, one of the coils is for the oil boiler and the other is shared by the two solid-fuel devices. I think there's only one small expansion tank in the attic, and a header tank. Can't be sure of that though. YOu can't get up there - the tank is in the way!

Is it a difficult task to get rid of an airlock? Have been swotting up on injector tees - I don't know if there's one in the system. I also don't know which radiator (if any) is gravity-fed because to find that out I'd presumably have to disable the pump, and I'm a bit afraid to... Should I? If I turn the pump off and turn the thermostat way up, to keep it off, will that tell me?

All it takes is a crest/dip in the pipework somewhere and air will trap stopping/slowing down the circulation. I'm assuming the pipework goes up and over then drops down to the cylinder, returning underfloor to the boiler position. Anywhere on that circuit is a potential air trap and/or sludge trap? Turning the pump off will only make things worse in my opinion!

Regards removing an airlock, it can prove nigh on impossible especially if it's in the return under the floor!!! If you don't have an injection tee fitted then it may be the lease expensive step to take in having one installed and seeing if that resolves the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the install is to blame It would be nice to see how the two heat sources are are linked. Usually best done trough a dunsley nutrulizer or similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solid fuel central heating problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The hot water tank I believe is a closed system but is on the same level as the bath. Therefore as you might guess the water pressure at the bath even on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock