Search the forum,

Discuss Solar PV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone saw the new proposed rates for Solar PV? Apparently it was leaked in a document from the Energy Savings Trust.
43.3p/kWh down to 21p/kWh after Dec 8 2011.

Bang goes any hope of growth now then eh?

Yes I saw that apparently they've pulled it from the website now and claimed the figures are still being discussed, They've killed off solar thermal and air source heat pumps now the incompetent p***ks are doing the same with PV

Yup!... and in the process they've cost a lot of businesses time and money in getting qualifications and QMS which lets face it have all been for nothing if there's no market for it. I'm beginning to suspect the energy providers may have had some input.. and its put paid to my venture into renewables. I'm going back to concentrating on just installing good old global warming,climate changing, carbon producing technologies!

thats pretty much a 50% reduction, hardly worth the hassle now. They will be obsolete anyway when technology moves on again in the future

the previous government was advised by many people that there original fit rate was far too exsessive. . they set aside 160million for year 2012 fit and there was such an uptake this year that has already been alocated. they dont have the money to sustain it.

we were not shocked by this as the uk always follows europes mess ups.. if you heard. they have reduced the fit to 21.1 p until 31stmarch.,,, then its being reviewed again..

our prediction is the fit will drop to 9p per kw... in line with the only place still doin the fit.. ireland and theres is 9c p kw.

it all comes down to us bailing out all these countries. we strangle our resorces to help over seas. then all it does is screws us...

not totally relavant but funny link.....PlayPolitical.com: The

on the plus side until the 12th its going to be manic with all the people wanting to beat the deadline and get there pv installed

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely, especially after April 2012, if your home isn't Energy Rated C or above then you will only get 9p/kWh, I cant see any market developing further, except maybe if you have an insulation company!

We believe it will drop at first. Once people have got over the fact its dropped they will get back on with wanting them. Not as intensive as currently though. It will bring pricing a bit tighter but at same time the cost for a full kit is dropping like a stone..
so do we all think the demand will drop?

Think demand has peaked people will still have pv installed but i cant see it being the same level again. if it goes down to 9p p kw theres going to be a lot of people who wont bother the payback time would be too long

the payback time will be massive. granted. at current install rates. if for example an average 2.4kw install drops from 10 k down to 7.5k. its still expensive yes but

its still going to be generating electricity. the price of that for sure wont go down, im pretty sure the price of it will be alot more in 10years time compared to now.. think its a case of changing marketing strategy and use different kit to make the sale.

eg the new line of inverters with battery unit to store the energy generated instead of feeding it into grid. allowing 100% home use in evening etc

Last edited by a moderator:
just does some quick maths.. if electricity prices continue at 8% per year. in 10 years time it will be 30.19p /kw if your paying 14p/kw now

average house using 15kw per day = ÂŁ1630 in electricity in 2021 compared to ÂŁ756 now.

Yeah but as electricity prices rise then so does everything else, including prices of panels etc. Dont forget in 10 years time your panel will probably be halfway through its useful life, the inverter will anyway, thats a cert. Installation costs will continue to rise, in comparing relative electricity prices you may have to take into account cost of living rises too, therefore installation cost will rise even if the price of the technology stays constant.

not sure the installation costs will rise, more inclined to think they ll fall as more firms get MCS and the cream have already had it installed. looked into PV installing about 6yrs ago, pre MCS.
then it needed too much investment in advertising and training for me to afford or could be bothered with.
had a feeling it d firms up here like CR Smith (double glazing and conservatorys) that would spot the potential and clean up. The Advanced Group are never out the Daily Record , adverts must be working.

margins will drop though, without a doubt. look at boiler changes , i m lucky if i can charge what i did 10 years ago and win a job, never mind put prices up. some gsr lads are doing things for silly money. same will happen with pv install prices as more get into it.

material cost have fallen loads in the last 2 weeks. one of our suppliers has a new line... they are offering full install kit of 3.7kw system for just 95p per watt.. sorry but that size for less than 4k is huge price drop.. competition of instllation will force install prices down. its been a massive profit margin and that will now drop. simple.

regarding electric prices yes everythig goes up but electricity has risen faster than inflations year on year.

by summer next year youll see 3.5kw systems offered for 7500 fitted

0.00000000004 is right. look how much profit was in a combi install job 6 7 years ago. . now you lucky to even get the job if you quote more than 250labour .

material cost have fallen loads in the last 2 weeks. one of our suppliers has a new line... they are offering full install kit of 3.7kw system for just 95p per watt.. sorry but that size for less than 4k is huge price drop.. competition of instllation will force install prices down. its been a massive profit margin and that will now drop. simple.

regarding electric prices yes everythig goes up but electricity has risen faster than inflations year on year.

by summer next year youll see 3.5kw systems offered for 7500 fitted

0.00000000004 is right. look how much profit was in a combi install job 6 7 years ago. . now you lucky to even get the job if you quote more than 250labour .

any idea what a typical load is on a say 3 bed detached is? that will put 3.7kw into perspective

Are you sure the reason prices have dropped in the last two weeks isnt the suppliers getting rid of unwanted panels? I cant see the general public installing solar pv in the future in the numbers that some people imagine. I think once the fit rate is cut then it doesnt make it attractive for the average joe who sees it as an investment. Coupled with the fact that if your home is not at level C or above on an EPC rating you will only get 9p/kWh after April. This will make it practically impossible to see any decent return. This will have a drastic effect (in my opinion) and I believe MCS registration will drop as a result. Who will invest ÂŁ500 a year with NAPIT or NICEIC in the hope of maybe getting a Solar PV job? Along with REAL, Gemserv and all the other costs involved it seems to me to be very unprofitable.

CEs i do hear where your coming from... maybe im trying to keep a too positive approach to this.:) no matter how you look at it the government has once again pulled wool out from under the uk public that could make a few quid. they dont like it...

the market is never going to be anywhere near as intense as it has been/ is.. but the market will still be there .

Core, Im just a little suspicious of any government scheme thats supposed to be helping our industry right now. I trained in heat pumps (preferring ASHP to GSHP) only to be told that ASHP were under review as to their suitability for the RHI due out next year. GSHP were fine (probably because most of the MPs deciding this have masses of land at their disposal). This limits the effectiveness of what the RHI was supposed to achieve, who is going to install a GSHP in the middle of a town? Its very suspect in my eyes, although I'm probably smarting a bit because it limits my companies growth in this area. I also trained in Solar PV as I was sick of all the double glazing firms up my way cashing in and providing dodgy installs, yet again, once out training was completed about 2 weeks later we get the FIT cut announcement. So it seems a bit of a non starter to carry out any renewable technologies in my eyes at the minute. Maybe once everything has calmed down and our economy grows once again (probably about 2020!) Ill venture into it again. I was considering even training as a DEA but seeing my track record so far I wouldn't want to jinx it again! (coupled with the fact that there are an abundant amount of DEAs left on the scrap heap after the HIPs debacle). The way the last two governments has handled any renewable scheme so far is nothing short of lunacy. You wouldn't let a hospital administrator carry out heart bypass surgery so why do we let politicians get involved with our industry?

lol so true.. and the majority of people who have the land to do gshp are usually in the wealthier catagory also. i fit ashp on a regular thing. them deciding to "review" the rhi is a kick again.

my sister company is the solar pv. my core heating 95% time does ashp.. am i screwed and gonna have to push myself back into hateful gas installations.

ah btw did you hear the leak (get the pun) of the hugest of huge gas pockets thats been found in british waters. apparently we are safe now till 2050..

co-incidence???

All renewables are in a dodgy state at the moment, the government have got it all wrong, and as from 2016 no gas meters in new builds, that's when my trade starts to dwindle.

All renewables are in a dodgy state at the moment, the government have got it all wrong, and as from 2016 no gas meters in new builds, that's when my trade starts to dwindle.

Or it'll take off as everyone will start asking for them to be put in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar PV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock