Search the forum,

Discuss Solar for heating a swimming pool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I carried out a boiler service at a property today and he was moaning about his solar not heating his pool very well. My response was I have never worked on solar so cant help. Anyway got talking to him and had a look at what he had (Wasnt going to touch it as I wouldnt know where to start and it does interest me) He has 8 panels linked directly to a swimming pool heat exchanger. It started off with 2 panels then they upped it to 4 panels as it didnt work very well then they upped it to 8 because it still wasnt working.

Surely 8 panels is more than enough and shouldnt there be a buffer tank connected to the solar then the heat exchanger piped from the buffer tank.

I am only asking out of curiosity as it just seemed odd that all the other solar systems heating pools have been 2 panels a buffer tank and they worked fine.

We did one with 5 x 30 tube panels (150 tubes) through a 500 litre cylinder for the house needs, when that reaches temperature a diverter valve switches over to the pool through a heat exchanger.

The pool only needs to get to about 25c the customer is happy with the system, now looking at a wood pellet boiler and 2500 litre buffer tank to take over where the solar leaves off in winter, the new addition will also be looking after the house heating system.

Wish he would hurry up and place the order.

Usually is the heat exchanger that is the problem as many state a heat transfer rate that they never seem to achieve.
I have had the same problem myself eventually decided to fit a much higher rated heat exchanger problem was then solved.

i have also done a similar thing as pete heat flat panel collectors heating a thermal store for the house, which then diverts to heat a pool heat exchanger once the house is satisfied this also coupled with a woodburner which does the same thing. i would say check the system has been comssisioned properly ie with a solar pump and all the air removed, my experiance is there extremely sensitive to air. if the system is not purged properly they dont work at all. would also be worth checking the solar controller is configured correctly for heating a pool gernerally its not the default setting . and that the dry pockets stats are fitted correctly

Jason,i suggest you re read the forum rules
approach admin if you want to advertise

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents

Google thermogroup uk

They distribute a thermodynamic system that can heat swimming pools, basically it's a system that works in reverse to a fridge, it uses refrigerant gases to heat instead of cool.

Drop me a message with your email address and I can send you some technical information if required.

Jason

Amazing how the distributors forget to mention the 1250 watt immersion heater that comes as part of the system (that's just what's in the small system).

More amazing how they forget to mention the F Gas requirements (Google F Gas)

Amazing how the distributors forget to mention the 1250 watt immersion heater that comes as part of the system (that's just what's in the small system).

More amazing how they forget to mention the F Gas requirements (Google F Gas)

Just thought it may help :bucktooth:

I'll keep quiet the shall I?

I wouldn't dare to suggest that I am a guest here like you, the way any experienced person sees such posts is with suspicion when they come from someone who has 8 posts all on the same topic, about 4 promoting a web site and 4 defending it.

Perhaps if you had been posting on other issues for a while and post about new technology then it wouldn't look like you were trying to promote a business without paying for advertising.

Make a DIY one for constant direct heating;
OpenFl10.jpg

OpenFl5.jpg

suck water up with solar panel for the pump to the top and back into the pool
OpenFl9.jpg

^^^^^^^^ Ingenious, does it work OK?

A campsite near where I live is next to a hillside with approx 45 degree slope, they have put a coil of plastic pipe up there to feed the shower block, which is directly below, this pipe must be what? 200 miles long, well ... there's a lot of it. The coil must be 30M in diameter and it's in the sun all day, don't know what they do about expansion but it goes like the clappers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar for heating a swimming pool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock