Search the forum,

Discuss Solar buffer cylinder to Megaflo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaflo-Experts

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Is there any way to install a Solar Thermal system with an existing single coil Megaflo cylinder?

I am thinking maybe a buffer cylinder can be pre-heated by the solar thermal, before supplying the Megaflo. I appreciate the buffer cylinder will probably need its own set of safety controls, so I'm just wondering if there is such a system available off the shelf?

Or is it going to be easier to replace the cylinder with a solar one?

your the experts! :confused::confused:
What was the point of this post ? Is it funny NO, is it clever NO, is it a sign that the guy posting it has nothing constructive to say on the subject & has far to much time on his hands ------ I THINK SO !!!!!!

Just boosting the old post count anyway you can.:sad:

Last edited:
What was the point of this post ? Is it funny NO, is it clever NO, is it a sign that the guy posting it has nothing constructive to say on the subject & has far to much time on his hands ------ I THINK SO !!!!!!

Hi chris :chillpill:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see why you could not have a pre-heat cylinder before the existing one, I did look into this for a job last year which did not come off. I will see if I still have notes. From memory Heartra did not like it, you could only have one control valve set (PRV) which would have to be on pre-heat (could not take high temp water).

Is there any way to install a Solar Thermal system with an existing single coil Megaflo cylinder?

I am thinking maybe a buffer cylinder can be pre-heated by the solar thermal, before supplying the Megaflo. I appreciate the buffer cylinder will probably need its own set of safety controls, so I'm just wondering if there is such a system available off the shelf?

Or is it going to be easier to replace the cylinder with a solar one?

How olds the existing megaflo pal? I only ask as we had a similar problem, with 300L indirect single coil PRE ECO MODEL, on a 3 bathroom install at peak times recovery was a tad slower even with 40 KW up it, the coil is rated at 24 kw, heatrae sadia were not helpful on the buffer suggestion..... they just suggested another 300L in parallel.

We put in a twin coil 300i ECO (solar) convinced it was recovery not the volume that was the problem which has you know has superior insulation I.E double since part L1B came in, these two coils were piped in parallel which dropped recovery from 30 mins to 17 mins, the plan is when his daughters who are shower magnets, move out he will go for panels to one of the coils.

In you situation I would plump for new solar Eco, and sell the old on e bay, especially if the old cylinder is not the Eco model, heatrae do not like the buffer scenario!,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris and Vern for your helpful posts.

The cylinder is a late HE model, and the set-up is actually slightly more complex! The customer wants to move the existing Megaflo, but also add a new one in parallel to double the volume from 250l to 500l.
The solar thermal is a further consideration by the customer, but I have suggested a single 500l solar cylinder is probably the sensible and more cost effective solution.

I was investigating the buffer cylinder as another option for the customer, but as already mentioned I not too surprised Heatrae are not too keen!

I was thinking of the scenario when during the day, the buffer cylinder would be nice and warm at 60C, and if the Megaflo had not been heated up, the water may only be at say 30C, which would need to be heated up by the boiler prior to being drawn off.

The cylinder is a late HE model, and the set-up is actually slightly more complex! The customer wants to move the existing Megaflo, but also add a new one in parallel to double the volume from 250l to 500l.
The solar thermal is a further consideration by the customer, but I have suggested a single 500l solar cylinder is probably the sensible and more cost effective solution.

I was investigating the buffer cylinder as another option for the customer, but as already mentioned I not too surprised Heatrae are not too keen!

I was thinking of the scenario when during the day, the buffer cylinder would be nice and warm at 60C, and if the Megaflo had not been heated up, the water may only be at say 30C, which would need to be heated up by the boiler prior to being drawn off.
How about putting a small anti-strat (bronze) pump to move the water around between the two cylinders either if in parallel or series could either have it linked to solar controller or just on timer ? Just thinking out loud.

I know what you are saying, but as you have said go for the 500l solar pal, BTW don't go above 500l as your G3 ticket only covers you upto this volume! More cost effective, also you can go with a pro megaflo than which has standard 6 bar PRV or 10 bar as an option, all subject to your mains pressure etc obviously, post some pics if you get the job sounds interesting!

How about putting a small anti-strat (bronze) pump to move the water around between the two cylinders either if in parallel or series could either have it linked to solar controller or just on timer ? Just thinking out loud.
BTW The pro has the anti strat pump as an option, also comes with clean out holes for legionnaires control etc, can be custom made with any coils to suit

I've done this set up but with a heat pump cylinder, the solar per heated an unvented, and I looped the secondary hot water pump to pre heat cylinder, so when that came on, With the timer, it moved the per heated water around, thus giving more room for solar to heat up, and give end user hot water instead of cold, almost balancing temp between both cylinders and helps if stratification didn't occur. Client loves it, and cut his electric bill loads, as heat pump wasn't managing. I didn't install heat pump btw.

I know what you are saying, but as you have said go for the 500l solar pal, BTW don't go above 500l as your G3 ticket only covers you upto this volume! More cost effective, also you can go with a pro megaflo than which has standard 6 bar PRV or 10 bar as an option, all subject to your mains pressure etc obviously, post some pics if you get the job sounds interesting!
Trouble is vern, what is the available hot water in the 500 L if there is not solar that day, Solar coil is half way up the cylinder isn't it ?

not fair !! you are answering my questions before I have even posted them vern - nice one !!

Last edited:
Trouble is vern, what is the available hot water in the 500 L if there is not solar that day, Solar coil is half way up the cylinder isn't it ?

Not on pro, can be made with multi coils and thermostat phials to you own spec, but standard covers most options

The anti-strat pump sounds like a possible solution, and this is why the unusual and more technically challenging projects are more interesting!
Thanks for mentioning the 500l limit vern - I didn't think of this!

I will look into the Pro series, which I assume are the same as the new commercial range.

I will look into the Pro series, which I assume are the same as the new commercial range.

correct pal I call them pro but they are now officially commercial! Not all the options are on the website either, so maybe have a chat with them.

when I talked about a buffer, they went cold and would not warrant the installation ( but wouldn't tell me why either) more likely so I would buy another MF cylinder!

I've done this set up but with a heat pump cylinder, the solar per heated an unvented, and I looped the secondary hot water pump to pre heat cylinder, so when that came on, With the timer, it moved the per heated water around, thus giving more room for solar to heat up, and give end user hot water instead of cold, almost balancing temp between both cylinders and helps if stratification didn't occur. Client loves it, and cut his electric bill loads, as heat pump wasn't managing. I didn't install heat pump btw.

Sounds an impressive set-up.
If there's no solar energy and the buffer cylinder is cold, presumably the secondary circulation means the boiler is heating up both the buffer and unvented cylinders?

Sounds an impressive set-up.
If there's no solar energy and the buffer cylinder is cold, presumably the secondary circulation means the boiler is heating up both the buffer and unvented cylinders?
You could wire the pump through stat on solar pre-heat cylinder, so it would only come on if it had useful heat otherwise it would be off & pre-heat would remain cold.

Pump only comes on when client needs hot water demand, for showering etc so two hours slot here and there and midday one hour solar shift. To be honest there isn't many days, unless covered with snow them panels aren't contributing. Raising base temp up. But the proof is in bills, and if client is happy I'm happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar buffer cylinder to Megaflo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock