Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe connetion question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jgw1

Hi all,

DIYer doing up his bathroom. I have tiled my bathroom floor and grouted this evening. Used 12mm ply and the tiles plus adhesive were 12mm.

So when I planned the soil pipe I bought a piece to raise the soil pipe 10mm (McAlpine) and a regular 90 degree bend (Floplast). These are in at the moment.

See pic:

img1659za1.jpg
my.php

HOWEVER, the join between the two pieces (the black ring in the pic) is very sturdy - no probs there. But the join between the raising piece and the old soil pipe (just after the collar in the pic) is prety flexible. I am a bit worried that this is a problem.

This is primarily because for the pan connector to be fitted it still needs to be raised around two centimeters - so doing this will place a little stress on this joint. Stress that I am worried will cause the joint to leak.

So basically is it usual for these joints to have a little movement and can they take a little stress. Are there alternatives to what I am trying to do.

Any advice greatly recieved as I am planning on fitting the loo tomorrow so that I can stop visiting my local pub.

Providing the fitting you have going into the old soil pipe is the correct type and size then generally there is a fair bit of leeway as regards movement. Trial fit just the pan (without the cistern) and see how it all looks, then you can chuck a few buckets of water down the pan and check for leaks before you fit it all permanently.

Another thought, if it does leak then you could cut the old soil pipe down a bit ( getting rid of the collar) and then connect a length of plastic pipe using a rubber "fernco" type coupling, that will give you plenty of movement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe connetion question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock