Search the forum,

Discuss So fed up with ignorant customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why it is "alarming" that not everyone followed you through the door?!

If you're hungry, you're hungry and will quote for the work. I don't see it being rude, at the end of the day when visiting a customer or potential customer you're there to give a quote it is essentially tendering for work. What is the difference between giving a quote infront of other customers and tendering for work online?

I do see your point the customers always king, if you ring someone to come and price a job you should have the courtesy to tell them that there will be other plumbers there and you will want a bidding war for the best price ,this is not unreasonable to want the best price but who would turn up knowing that ? If they attend then they know what is required.it is unfair to waste people's time especially if they are self employed sole traders time is money to them.

I don't see why it is "alarming" that not everyone followed you through the door?!

If you're hungry, you're hungry and will quote for the work. I don't see it being rude, at the end of the day when visiting a customer or potential customer you're there to give a quote it is essentially tendering for work. What is the difference between giving a quote infront of other customers and tendering for work online?

Dont mind quoting but that situation is ridiculous. Somebody might just have been treat to a knuckle sandwich for my trouble.

Theres one thing quoting and another thing bidding.

How many of you guys have, at any point, sent a list of materials to a range of merchants, and then played one off against the other?

How many of you have ordered something, and put your supplier to the trouble of organising it, and then cancelled because you have found a cheaper or better solution elsewhere?

This is is just normal customer behaviour in almost any field. If you run a business then you have to accept that your aspirations and motivations are not the same as your customers'. Sure, you can set up policies and procedures to lessen the impact on you, but there is no point in getting uptight about it. Its just a risk of business life.

I dont want to have to do that. I want a merchant to give me their best price for me. I appreciate that a bigger company will have better buying power but i dont want to go in today and pay a pound, in tomorrow and pay a pound fifty for the same thing. Just want consistency. Sometimes i go elsewhere just show i have other options if needed.

I will quite often take a quote from another merchant in. I will still use the merchant that gave me the cheaper price but I like to let them know why I'm not using them for a certain job. I think it gives them a chance to look at their pricing structure. Having said that I don't always go for the cheapest price as sometimes the service is more important.

I will quite often take a quote from another merchant in. I will still use the merchant that gave me the cheaper price but I like to let them know why I'm not using them for a certain job. I think it gives them a chance to look at their pricing structure. Having said that I don't always go for the cheapest price as sometimes the service is more important.

Likewise when i miss out on a bigish job. I like to contact the cust for some feedback on my price vs the one that got the job. Keeps my pricing right or gives me a laugh to see just how little somebody is charging.

I agree, I tend to to stick with one merchantover here because he's reasonably priced but the clincher for me is he can turn round stock faster than his competitors.

Because of the nature of the business i sometimes have to get 2 or 3 merchants to price something over a ÂŁ1,000. this is a contractual thing we're bound by but I always inform the merchant that I have to ring aound.

As was also said, we all also understand that custards will get 3 or 4 or more tenders for a contract, it's just common courtesy to keep us informed that we might be viewing the job at the same time as other guys.
I honestly don't mind as long as I know where I stand and I'm sure other guys feel the same.

In 95% I only use one merchant as price and the service is good. I only go shop elsewhere if they can't get some stuff.

How many of you guys have, at any point, sent a list of materials to a range of merchants, and then played one off against the other?

How many of you have ordered something, and put your supplier to the trouble of organising it, and then cancelled because you have found a cheaper or better solution elsewhere?This is is just normal customer behaviour in almost any field. If you run a business then you have to accept that your aspirations and motivations are not the same as your customers'. Sure, you can set up policies and procedures to lessen the impact on you, but there is no point in getting uptight about it. Its just a risk of business life.

maybe what some people do, but I have an independant supplier and what I do with his blessing is to go to the bigger companies and get quotes and compare his to theirs. if he is over then he can sometimes come down or match the other guys, but theres no point in forcing him below everyone else or he wont be there next year to sell me anything. with this attitude both of us trog along happily reaching a sensible compromise, but best of all, if I ring him at an odd hour I can virtually guarentee him opening up for me to get the bits I urgently need. so I remain loyal to him and it pays me to do so. Just a pity customers dont copy my way of thinking cos they would get a better service in the long term.

Well, there are a lot of you who I would love to have as customers with the attitudes described, and in fairness, we have a lot of customers who are like that.

But we also have a lot of customers who use us as part of a range of suppliers. One of my favourite conversations of all time went like this:

Me: "Hey T***, long time, no see. Where have you been hiding?"

Him: "Yeah, sorry Ray, I have mostly been using S**** at [competitor]"

Me: "Oh, why's that then? Is he beating our prices?"

Him: "No, its just that he took me to a golf day, and ... well... you know how it is..."

Me: "No worries mate. Anyway, how can we help?"

Him: "Well, I've taken this job on, and its a bit technically complicated for S****, so I though I'd come to you for some advice."

Me: "Splutter..."

Seriously - almost word for word.

And we did the quote, and made the sale, and then he went back to playing golf and shopping with the competitor.

should have bumped the price so you could have joined him on the course for a day :)

Well, there are a lot of you who I would love to have as customers with the attitudes described, and in fairness, we have a lot of customers who are like that.

But we also have a lot of customers who use us as part of a range of suppliers. One of my favourite conversations of all time went like this:

Me: "Hey T***, long time, no see. Where have you been hiding?"

Him: "Yeah, sorry Ray, I have mostly been using S**** at [competitor]"

Me: "Oh, why's that then? Is he beating our prices?"

Him: "No, its just that he took me to a golf day, and ... well... you know how it is..."

Me: "No worries mate. Anyway, how can we help?"

Him: "Well, I've taken this job on, and its a bit technically complicated for S****, so I though I'd come to you for some advice."

Me: "Splutter..."

Seriously - almost word for word.

And we did the quote, and made the sale, and then he went back to playing golf and shopping with the competitor.

No point asking any of the merchants round my way for anything technical (except hwos on the oil side), I would get more sense out of next doors cat.

should have bumped the price so you could have joined him on the course for a day :)

What, and spoil a good walk in the country?

Seriously - I have never played golf, and whilst I have nothing against those who do, I hate the idea of doing business that way. Honest competition should be on product, price and service.

I use two local independants that for the most part are pretty good. On some items each can be way over what the other charges but when all materials on any given job are added up then theres not mich between them so its down to which direction im working in (opposite ends of town) or for ordered gear who can get it quicker.

For non immediate work which requires over a 100 of gear I now always give ray a shout to see how he compares price wise as money saved goes into my pocket but even without a saving ill use ray as he has a good service and I appreciate the effort he puts into the forum.

I have been hungry for work and still look on any new customer as 'gold dust.'However I am pretty sure I would not have even got inside and would certainly have walked had I done so.I wouldn't necessarily blame anyone who stayed,that is their choice.
However the question you have to ask is 'What sort of customers are you looking for?'I was going through some old paperwork the other day and saw a number of old ,failed quotes.The things that they had in common were,they were very cheap as I was finding it hard to get work and that even then they were not cheap enough for these customers who had one thing in common ,it was all about price.As is often pointed out in the forum there are customers who value you and your work and those who would drop you for a ÂŁ5 or because you can't get to them immediately.A customer who had the bloody cheek to get 5 plumbers there at the same time was rude and brave.It is a wonder they were not shaken warmly by the throat!In effect they had wasted 4 people's time travelling there.It isn't the same as ringing for a ballpark figure.In any case ,even that is largely a waste of time because a good tradesman needs to see the job but not with 4 others!!!You will find that price obsessed customers are often a waste of time.

My experience exactly. I turned down even quoting for a large job for us tonight, full rewire of a house and totally replumbing the house. Why? Well, firstly, the customer asked me who I was as he had arranged so many quotes. I then asked him how many quotes he was getting. 5 for the plumbing and 5 for the rewire. He was also renovating the house himself, it was his first project. He wanted to do as much of the work himself to save money.

All I read into was this job would be a complete nightmare, even if I was the 'lucky' company that won it, i.e. by being the cheapest.

I always subtly quiz the customers in a polite way now before going to a quote for large jobs. It's amazing how much of an impression you get from asking a few questions.

Same principle applies though.

The job cconsists of labour and materials. Assuming that the materials are constant, the difference is between the quality of the workmanship in the case of choosing an installer, and the quality of service in the case of choosing a merchant.

I think there's another very important one for many people - who they are letting into their home. This is often a large factor in a domestic customer in particular making a decision.

However the question you have to ask is 'What sort of customers are you looking for?'I was going through some old paperwork the other day and saw a number of old ,failed quotes.The things that they had in common were,they were very cheap as I was finding it hard to get work and that even then they were not cheap enough for these customers who had one thing in common ,it was all about price.As is often pointed out in the forum there are customers who value you and your work and those who would drop you for a ÂŁ5 or because you can't get to them immediately... <snip>...You will find that price obsessed customers are often a waste of time.

I missed this gem earlier. Excellent post.

If you really sell a premium product or service, you shouldn't see everyone as a customer. Your potential customers are only those willing and able to pay a premium price, and your marketing and advertising ought to be aimed at identifying those people.

Focussing on the correct customer group can save a fortune in wasted time.

I agree totally on that one. That's pretty much what I try to do now on that initial phone call, the potential leads don't seem to realise it but I am really grilling them. If I don't like what I'm hearing I am just booking too far ahead to be useful to them. Then I pass their details onto the gas fitter I use who aims bang on the middle of the market.

I missed this gem earlier. Excellent post.

If you really sell a premium product or service, you shouldn't see everyone as a customer. Your potential customers are only those willing and able to pay a premium price, and your marketing and advertising ought to be aimed at identifying those people.

Focussing on the correct customer group can save a fortune in wasted time.

Why are you wasting your time on herw then ray?....:p:p:p:p:p:p

I was meant to go and quote for a boiler installation job today and had arranged a time - btw 1&2 pm. Yesterday, the chap phoned to let me know four others will be quoting for the same job. I sent him a text message at 8 am today wishing him all the best for 2014 and made him know I will not be attending to quote for the job.
I can understand asking quotes from THREE tradesmen/women. But five or more? Where do people have the time to show five people around their house? The minute someone needs more than THREE companies to quote, then they're after the cheapest quote, that's how I see it.

I was once asked to come and quote for a shower pump installation. After agreeing a day and time, the chap rang to let me know that others will be quoting as well. He made me aware that whoever provided the cheapest quote will get the job. Needless to say I never attended.

Last edited:
letting agent called me today to go to a regular landlords failed oil boiler, making a lot of noise, not working and burnt electric smell. So I fathom the motors probably burnt out, and as there is an immersion and not cold, they can wait till monday as no parts available at 1300 on a sat. Plus is the landlady happy to cough for w/end callout, to no avail? Letting agents response, the tenant needs heating get on with it, so I rang landlady, and explained situ only to be informed that the leting agent has sent their guy who was available now and only charged ÂŁ25 an hour anyhow!! wtf!!! I try and do her a favour and get burnt both ends, apart fm the fact I was installing a boiler for a lovely old lass who kept me in coffee all day:) I have come to the conclusion theres more assholes out there than there used to be and the expect us all to respond like the AA thanks to BG and their ads, so that one day we will all disappear up our rears and bg can really sting the dopes out there. Bearing in mind that anyone charging ÂŁ25 to go on callouts over a weekend will have got a job in tescos as well, whilst helping to ruin it for the rest of us!! rant rant rant

I can't remember the quote origin but the sentiment remains.

'Avoid those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing'

Although it's easy to do when times are good, don't bow to people who want cheap. Covert those him value your expertise.

Why are you wasting your time on herw then ray?....:p:p:p:p:p:p

I don't sell a premium product, so I have to make do with customers lower down the evolutionary scale. In your case, much further down. :)

When do you want that fortic delivered incidentally?

I don't sell a premium product, so I have to make do with customers lower down the evolutionary scale. In your case, much further down. :)

When do you want that fortic delivered incidentally?

You said about running the risk of a customer saying they dont want the product and you getting left with it.....

My favourite around 18 months asked to quote a new commercial boiler fitted in a cellar, meet property developer on site .....it was bit out in the sticks, turn up to empty building, 2 un marked vans and an Aston Martin.......wonders down open cellar door a tad late, 2 other guys there to quote, said developer then spits out speech blah blah " I got you all here at the same time, to save time and fuel for me as i am a very busy man please quote to this spec, cheapest will win the tender" blah blah etc

Fuming as the guy was an a hole, also unrealistic in what he was asking for his budget and time waster ( 2 other companies failed to show or it would have been 5!)

I phoned him that same afternoon, ÂŁ7k+VAT I said verbally ( holding back my giggles by my rough calcs the gear alone was over ÂŁ10K+ VAT) he said he would let me know, I saved his number in my phone and then buttoned him on numerous occasions, playing the game, I eventually answered, he wanted to meet me on site sounding very keen, informing me I had "just" won the tender, I was also to attend with the quote in writing, I said no problem.

Said day arrives, I forgot about it on purpose, he rings
"where are you I am on site and I am waiting"
my reply
" oh yeah sorry my time and fuel is also important" click beeeeerrr number blocked!

Did'nt fancy dragging a CXi out of the cellar anyhow lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to So fed up with ignorant customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock