Search the forum,

Discuss smelly smells from downstairs loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi there... basically went to a cust's house today and it's an upstairs downstairs little terraced house.
Recently the wc under the stairs has been smelly- very smelly at times, mostly in the morning.
It's the usual little room with a basin and hidden pipework- needless to say no visual signs of leaking, but definitely a smell. Above there's another bathroom and the loo (presumably the bath and basin as well ) connects to the same stack. Unfortunately upstairs has a concealed, and well tiled boxed in loo/ cistern. Soil stack doesn't go all the way into the loft, stops here.

So now my question is, IF there's a aav in this boxing would the smells drift down to the loo below?
Does sewer gas rise or fall or does it just seep out where it can?

I've got cust monitoring trap depth and next step - maybe destroy some tiling to check if aav present and failed.... any other suggestions appreciated.

Thank in advance

• :clap:

Last edited:
Monitoring trap seems the way to go. Remind customer, even with plug in and basin full of water
a failed trap will still allow smell to pass via overflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to smelly smells from downstairs loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock