Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Smelly shower trap in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

Hi All
    My shower tray and plumbing was installed 5 years ago and has been fine up until last summer when it started to smell. We have been careful to clean trap parts weekly to remove hair etc but last summer when it was not being used quite so much it started to give off a stale kinda dirty water smell.

I had a go at getting rid of the odour with half a cup of vinegar and half a cup of bicarb of soda mixture but the mixture sat in the shower well with some of it draining through the pipe drain. I am not sure whether this method was appropriate to get to where the problem is. Please see pics

Anyway it still smells, any answers please?

Thanks alot

Betty

IMG_6991.jpg

IMG_6992.jpg

2. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I think you’ve got part of the trap missing

3. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

It’s sits on the little lugs attached to the outer ring and creates the trap. At the moment, horrible gasses can enter the bathroom

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Agreed
    With out the cover you don’t have a trap

5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

Sorry please see other parts to trap . Second one shows water level.

I just usually insert parts thinking nothing of it, first basket then central bit and then chrome cap. Not sure if there is special requirement on how tightly they must be fitted/connected and the water level etc

Betty

Central bit

Basket

IMG_6995.jpg

central bit inserted in basket

6. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Check the water level in the trap after using something nearby , it might be that another drain could be 'sucking' the trap dry and then the smell can escape.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Normally that'll be a wc flush nearby.

8. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

It could also be getting siphoned out if anything material wise caught, but unlikely given the pics. You may also have a build up of soap scum in the waste pipe, does it drain slow?

9. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can't remember off the top of my head but is there a rubber o-ring on this part?

20190525_173600.jpg

10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

We have been making sure the trap stays topped up with water and the smell has gone. Hooray! or for a while anyway.I think Ted and WC1 were right, welldone.
    It drains ok and there is no rubber o ring
    Thanks very much for solving a smelly problem xx

• Like Like x 1