Search the forum,

Discuss Slow flow - 15mm feed Tee'd off to TWO 10mm feeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am having some issues with my radiator heat up times on two of my radiators and I am assuming that it is a flow rate issue or something along those lines.

I have a 4 bed (large) old semi-detached house.
11 Radiators
Worcester 36CDi Compact Combi-Boiler
All my rads end up being supplied by 10mm pipe.

I have had a plumber in and he balanced everything. But still takes 45-60 mins for rads to get nice and hot. They get warm after about 20-30 mins but cold in the middle.

As per the pictures below the two in question are supplied by a 15mm pipe that is reduced to 10mm by way of a 15mm Tee with two 15-10mm reducers.

I have two questions:

1) If the feed is spit using the tee and then also reduced to 10mm all at the same point, will this have an effect on the flow and if so would there be a better way to reduce down to the 10mm?

2) Expense is not an issue and therefore would you recommend removing the 10mm and continuing straight to the rads with 15mm?

I have tried to explore several Forums and read discussions on best practices regarding 10 or 15mm pipework for central heating and it does seem to be a controversial subject.

But is 15mm better for central heating regardless of cost?

Thank you for your time advising me.

Capture2.png

Capture.png

Best option remove all the 10mm and use 15mm to the rads and 22 mm circuits depending on size

Copper

If plastic need to increase the dia one up

Eg 15-22
22-28 etc due to small internal bores

It shouldn't be an issue as piped.

EXCEPT :-

Size of radiators the 10mm is feeding.

Length of run to and from the radiators.

If money is not an issue then repipe.

Or stick some cleaner in for a couple of weeks and clean it out. Maybe pull the rads off and hose on outside. Orca powerflush.

Dangerous I know, but I assume its worked fine till now.
If so, before you even consider repiping, search on here for system balancing. I will guarantee that has not been done.
Once done properly, you should notice a significant difference in system performance and response. At that point I suspect you will need to flush as recommended and then rebalance.
If that all has zero impact then, and only then, should you consider pipework changes.

Thanks Bogrodder,
I did ask my plumber originally for 15mm but he managed to convince me that microbore would be ok... wish I had a time machine!

Could be worse, could be 8mm microbore like the house I'm currently renting :D

But ye
Dangerous I know, but I assume its worked fine till now.
If so, before you even consider repiping, search on here for system balancing. I will guarantee that has not been done.
Once done properly, you should notice a significant difference in system performance and response. At that point I suspect you will need to flush as recommended and then rebalance.
If that all has zero impact then, and only then, should you consider pipework changes.

He's already had a plumber in who has balanced the rads, sounds like its not improved it sufficiently, so repiping and a good flush a probably in order.

Thanks everyone, system has been flushed a few times and a lot of sludge did come out, so continued until it was clear.

The rads were fitted new 2 years ago with the new comb boiler and have always been poor performing .

The rads are both large 22's 600x1800 and the microbore run is approx. 4m feed and 6m return .

Looks like I will go for the 15mm upgrade.

Many thanks again.

Reply to Slow flow - 15mm feed Tee'd off to TWO 10mm feeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Divy here thought his cold water feed was 15mm.. so bought a 15mm - 1/4" reducing tee to plumb a fridge. It's 10mm!! I've already cut it so stuck a stop end on. What options do I have as I can't find a 10mm - 1/4" reducing tee... Do I get some 15mm pipe and use 15mm - 10mm reducers ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All I have a single pipe central heating system which was extended 20 years ago when we had an extension. The heating upstairs has never been great particularly in the extended part with only a few of the original radiators getting very hot. We replaced the downstairs radiators with UFH...
Replies
Views
Looking to upgrade a couple of rads in my house but wanted to get some advice on suitability. I have a glowworm bg330 31 kw conventional boiler which currently feeds 10 type 11 radiators 5 up 5 down. The upstairs is run in 15mm pipework and the downstairs in 10mm. I'm looking to upgrade the 2...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, These sleeves cover 10mm PVC central heating pipes (see picture and ignore tape measure) and I believe this is what makes it possible for the 15mm nut and olive to attach to take the radiator valve. As you can see they are installed before nut and olive. I've ordered a black towel...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock