Search the forum,

Discuss Slow draining toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

We have a slow draining ground floor toilet. Initially I thought it may be blocked as it happened suddenly (4 days ago) so tried plunging and using a drain snake to no avail (drain snake went in about 5Meters with no resistance). The toilet drains into its own stack which then joins the sewer at the front of the property. Looking in the man hole there doesn’t look to be a blockage and can see a steady flow after flushing. There is a sink in the toilet which has an anti syphon bottle trap which seems to be the only vent to the stack. When I disconnect the sink the toilet drains normally again! I have replaced the anti syphon unit but when I reconnect the sink the toilet drains slowly again.

Probably beyond my skills to fix but just wondering if anyone had a ideas to the cause of this?

Thanks for reading!

Hi Riley,

Not that I can see, the soil pipe heads straight into the floor along with the pipe from the sink. It seems the only way air is getting to it it thru the anti syphon connected under the sink, I assume installing an AAV with fix it but strangely it was working fine with the current setup until a few days ago!

Take the sink trap off.
Hold cling film over the pipe to make a seal.
Flush the toilet.
If the cling film tries to blow out, you've got a blockage, (99.9% likely).
If the cling film tries to suck in, you've got an air admittance issue, (0.1% likely).

I'm guesing you haven't seen how well the water flows in the manhole before there was an issue?

if anyone had a ideas to the cause of this?

You've got a partial blockage between the toilet and the man-hole. Wait a few days and you'll have a complete blockage.

If you're sure that only pee, poo or paper has been flushed then a possible cause is roots that have got in through a crack. (Are there any trees near by?). Ideally, you'd get someone with a drain camera to take a look and, if I'm right, give you a precise location so you can dig down and fix it properly.

Try the mop down the bog trick.
Get an old style mop, get it wet, plunge it down into pan up and down loads of times keep flushing bog in between , the amount of pressure you can generate this way is phenomenal have go and let us know. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thank you all for your replies, we have 3 small children so who know what has gone down the toilet! I’ll try the mop and the clingfilm and report back. We have some large trees around the property but did carry out a CCTV drain inspection a year ago and that came back as all drains in good condition so fingers crossed it’s not root damage!

So I tried the cling film over the sink pipe and it turns out air was blowing out from the pipe! Got the outside hose running into the toilet and plunged for about 5 minutes, after that the level was clearing quickly but the water level was dropping lower than normal in the toilet. Plunged for another 5 minutes or so and it all seems to be working normally again now! Hopefully that’s fixed the problem! Thanks to everyone who replied! Cheers!

So I tried the cling film over the sink pipe and it turns out air was blowing out from the pipe! Got the outside hose running into the toilet and plunged for about 5 minutes, after that the level was clearing quickly but the water level was dropping lower than normal in the toilet. Plunged for another 5 minutes or so and it all seems to be working normally again now! Hopefully that’s fixed the problem! Thanks to everyone who replied! Cheers!
Bingo centralheatking

Reply to Slow draining toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock