Search the forum,

Discuss Singing noise related to water pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Since our central heating system was upgraded in October we have noticed a singing noise in the house when the water circulating pump switches on. It is a new Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 pump with 3 speeds. Reducing the speed reduces the noise but it doesn't go away, and we need to use the maximum speed to heat the house effectively.

The noise sounds like a musical tuning fork. It comes from any part of the house where there are pipes or radiators, as well as from the pump, but is not easy to pinpoint. It is not loud, just annoying. How loud it is depends on where you are in the room and what direction your head is turned. It is as though the noise from the pump transmits to the water everywhere in the system.

The system works well otherwise, there are no other clues, although there is a slight unrelated whistling from the boiler flue which is being investigated.

A Magnaclean filter was fitted and has removed about a cupful of black rust already.

try shutting one trv at a time off unit the noise is gone

try shutting one trv at a time off unit the noise is gone
That is a very interesting suggestion and I will try it. There are 6 rads in the system, plus two others that are in an unused and uninsulated conservatory that are always shut off. There is no bypass as yet, so what is the max no of rads I can shut off at once?

What did the upgrade consist of?

Was the system balanced afterwards?

Original system was about 30 yrs old at least, no time switch, one thermostat operating one pump. 5 rads, hwc, open vent, one Rayburn coal fired boiler. It had been unused for at least two winters.

Our "upgrade" last October was to replace the boiler with an Intergas boiler, plumbed in at a different location on exterior wall, but retaining the open vent, and add a timer, new pump and magnaclean filter, and add a radiator to the kitchen where the Rayburn was.

It probably hasn't been very well balanced as some of the balance valves are still seized. They look as though they are all full open. We have already removed about a cupful of sludge from the Magnaclean. In December we found air in the top half of the upstairs radiators and bled it out and it has not re-appeared yet.

Just noticed this post on PH mate , on here is the right place for plumbing and heating advice , as regards advice off PH on said advice , do yourself a favour and use us .

That`s not the only other forum it is on jon.;)

Just saw it last night , I dont use Ph that much , its a huge forum , I can tell by a lot of the answers who is a genuine plumber / heat engineer etc , but loads chip in with their opinions and are bloody pathetic. Thats why I told the OP to use here.

May be irrelevant, but I don't think that's a Grundfos model. It's either a UPS 15-50 (older model) or a UPS2 (later). Does it have a knob to turn to change speed, or a touch pad (with an LED)?
The label says Grundfos UPS2, so surely it must be a Grundfos? It has a touch pad speed control

Pathetic as you say mate, forums all over, this one included is full of ultracrepidarians! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Starting to put me off forums so much I might take another holiday soon.

That`s not the only other forum it is on jon.;)
Hope that's not a problem posting on more than one forum. I can usually get a good feel for which are the best opinions, (specially by multi posting!) . I have had the best responses from this one, Ultimate handyman is good too.

Hope that's not a problem posting on more than one forum. I can usually get a good feel for which are the best opinions, (specially by multi posting!) . I have had the best responses from this one, Ultimate handyman is good too.
Nah your fine mate, whatever you wanna do to get the answer, jon was advising you no more than that.

Thanks for that. Not for the first time, I stand corrected :(. I always thought the UPS2 was just called that, the older one being the UPS 15-50/60.
I installed a UPS2 early last year and the instruction booklet doesn't mention 15-50/60, just UPS2.

That's the beauty of UKPF vs the likes of Twitter or Facebook FIF.
Sooo much friendlier & forgiving of honest misunderstandings and mistakes.
I adore learning on here, you can do it and no one, mostly :confused:, criticises. :)

Thanks for that. Not for the first time, I stand corrected :(. I always thought the UPS2 was just called that, the older one being the UPS 15-50/60.
I installed a UPS2 early last year and the instruction booklet doesn't mention 15-50/60, just UPS2.[/QUOTE
Was going to post a picture of the label but assume not needed now!

Problem solved. Singing noise completely gone. Plumber replaced the Grundfos with a DAB 40-70/130. Whether the Grundfos was faulty or there was an incompatibility with my system we will never know. Thanks for all support.
Interesting & nothing else was done to the system ?

Thanks for letting us know as others may come across the same thing.

Reply to Singing noise related to water pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock