Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Silicone foils, anyone used them? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber

Just having flick through latest Screwfix mailer that came through the door yesterday and they are doing their own brand silicone, caulk, adhesive... in foils wraps instead of the usual plastic tube. Its the same price but you get iirc 400ml instead of 320ml.

Has anyone got any experience of using these? You have to use a different mastic gun which isn't the end of the world, but I'm wandering how well it works when you switch between different colours of silicone, or need to use e.g. caulk instead. Is it practical to clean the mastic gun out and switch over or would you realistically need a different gun for each? Not sure how messy they inside the mastic gun.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Need a special gun

And can't switch like normal tubes need to clean it out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber

Yeh was worried that might be the case, I suppose its maybe ok for the white silicone I use the most and stick to the normal gun for everything else.

4. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

I tried em quite a while ago and got fed up with 'em. Went back to the ease of use of traditional. If you're doing the same thing day in day out then I feel they're good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Foil wraps ...hmmm sound a bit dogey ...maybe the local smackheads should go on the mailing list Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WC1

WC1 Active Member

• Like Like x 1