Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower valve ceramic cartridge. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bogart

Bogart Member

Might be missing the obvious but here goes. I had a leaking on/off shower ceramic disc valve , was leaking from the spindle shaft so replaced both O rings and thought all would be fine, oh no. Put it all back in and now on/off function has no effect. There is play in so much as I can pull and push the spindle by a couple of mm. If when the shower is running I push against the on/off handle and hence the spindle the flow rate lessens. I have cleaned everything and all surfaces look to be fine.There is a circlip to stop the spindle and hence the gubbins from exiting the rear of the body but as I say there is a good 2mm or so of play on this. Missing the obvious?

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Change the whole insert.

3. Bogart

Bogart Member

At 20 0dd pounds I would rather not.The only problem before taking it apart were the O rings on the valve spindle everything else worked ok.

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Unfortunately cartridge taps and valves need continuous replacing ..

• Like Like x 1
  5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Ceramic disc cartridges are not designed to be refurbed.

They work or they are fooked.

But your choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bogart

Bogart Member

Well I was missing the obvious. Having sat and looked at it noting the 2mm play in it which was not there before it had to be something obvious. So I then think if there was a washer in there problem solved and so it proved washer was sitting in corner of the bathroom.
    Fitted and all tickety-boo. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Phil

Phil Plumber

I was going to say, I bet that silicone washer jobby has dropped out and tried to roll down the drain. Hope it lasts!

8. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Damn. You beat me to it. I was also about to say are you sure you haven't left a washer sitting in the corner of the bathroom somewhere ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bogart

Bogart Member

Lady luck smiling on me normally would have never found it.:)