1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Shower tray/panel advice? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. newgal85

newgal85 Member

Hi guys

I'm doing some renovations in my home and creating an extra guest bathroom downstairs - need to buy a shower tray and fixed glass panel as it will be walk in shower (but it wont be a wet room)

1. What brand shower tray is best? MX seems to be good value but not sure if its same quality as Simpsons which is a bit more expensive. Also I had a quote of 229 for a Bathstore shower tray 1700x900 - apparently their shower trays are manufactured by Simpsons?other brands seem a bit more expensive e.g Mira Flight,Merlyn.
    2. Has anyone installed MX ducostone shower tray - any ideas about this material?
    3. Can I purchase any un-branded glass panel for the shower tray or do they need to be from the same company?
    4. What is the minimum length of the shower tray I can buy for a room that is 2m in length.

Sorry for the long post! Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

For a 2m room id go for a 1700 or 1800 tray, then box out one side to meet the tray. One panel of glass down the long edge of the tray with a deflector panel.

In terms of manufacturer, over the length of tray you need, it's more the installation than the brand you need to worry about. There will be alot of flex over that length and unless you fully bed the base down, it will likely crack.

If your using a fixed panel screen then the brands don't need to match. Just don't buy an 800mm long panel and expect it to keep water in. Over a 1700 tray you'd want an 1100 screen. This will give you a 600mm opening at the foot which is plenty of room for access into the shower.

• Like Like x 1
  3. newgal85

newgal85 Member

Thanks Craig - yes you are right - fingers crossed my fitter knows how to install the tray properly so I dont get any leaks.

4. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Cross those fingers tight ;). I'd ask him how he plans to bed the tray down. If he says silicone then cross your fingers, arms, legs and toes :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Where is the drain going from the shower .. lots of trays have central exits, and some have them at one end .. running the pipe may dictate what is most sensible to buy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tim S

Tim S Member

If your supply pipe work for your shower valve is chased into the wall there's no reason why you can't fit a 2000mm long tray and avoid
    having to build and tile/panel any box work. Alternatively if you do go for an 1800 tray there would be sufficient depth in the boxing to create some recessed shelving.I've fitted a lot of MX elements trays and find them to be very durable. Just make sure your installer knows his stuff. I usually provide my clients with a scope of work which outlines the processes involved (installing backer boards/tanking etc). Maybe you could ask your installer for something similar?..and if you get something back that says glue the tray to the floor with silicone and dot and dab the tiles to the existing plasterboard walls..Beware:eek::eek:!!. Good luck:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. newgal85

newgal85 Member

Thanks all - will speak to the fitter and ask for a scope of work as suggested to see what he comes back with.

8. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I would look very carefully at Superseal Waterstop, its a proven durable bath,shower, and worktop sealing system
    Rob Foster centralheatking

FB5DC669-A7A7-4EE9-9056-56CEF2165D44.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

One of yours again Rob??:eek::eek:

10. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

No just something I came across in my travels. I will ALWAYS promote new and innovative products that I consider have legs..we are about to set up the UK Plumbing & Heating Innovation Centre ..which will be a virtual shop and anybody with a production ready product is very welcome to join in. Its not all about profit, I have enough lolly now and want to put more back.
    centralheatking

• Like Like x 3
  11. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Actually Wayne it works very well indeed. Used it many times in a slightly different guise.

12. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That exact one mate?

13. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I use classiseal

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

That one about three times, the others were the classic version. TBH I preferred the classic.