Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower tray draining slowly in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Hi,

I have a wet room type shower, the waste is slow at draining, so I have removed the cover and want to use one of those unblock wires to see if there is any sludge in there.

Most of the hole is taken up by a plastic pipe (possibly an airlock). I cant seem to feed the wire very far. Could somebody point me in the direction of what this is, is there a way of increasing the flow?

I've attached a picture.

Thank you

shower.JPG

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not sure what you mean wet room type shower , thats a standard shower trap .
    Can you get to the other end of the pipe , i.e where it joins soil pipe ?

3. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Sorry, wet room not relevant.

The floor is all tiled so there is no access to the soil pipe join.

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

You need a ro pump bud maybe able to hire one for less than £50 or bite the bullet a get your own . Kop

Screenshot_20181115-213705_Chrome.jpg

5. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

There's no nack to it, you won't get your drain spring down there, some types of traps yes, but not that one. To rod it or clear it mechanically you'll need to gain access, either underneath or outside or wherever.
    It amazes me when I get to a wetroom or low profile shower tray and the installers didn't leave access for this. Bet they give a tail-light guarantee, i.e. the job's guaranteed until you see the vans tail lights...
    You could try chemicals, my personal fave are soda crystals, a quid a bag at the supermarket, follow the instructions and make a solution, clears most stuff from drains and is 'relatively' safe.

6. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As the” Kopsta” suggests the ropump or a plunger maybe your only wayout . Dont go mad plunging if you blow a pipe off , you are in the ****.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

He'd need to check the waste fittings are solvent first, seen one of them pop a pushfit waste fitting under a shower tray.

8. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Agreed don't go crazy with it . kop

9. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions - will start with the crystals, then try a ro pump (with moderate force!)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Top Contributor!!

As above, go gingerly with chemicals and pump...

Looks like a wirquin twisto or mira vortex trap; I now bin these and use normal dip tube wastes as those two seem impossible to clear. Luckily they are "self-cleaning" so silly me what am I worrying about?!