Search the forum,

Discuss Shower thermostatic mixer tap issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning everyone :)

I’m having issues with my thermostatic mixer on my shower, I want to strip it down and clean it up inside but I can’t seem to get in to it, I’m guessing the ceramic cover should come off to reveal a screw but it won’t budge, and doesn’t screw either, I’ve unscrewed the ceramic lever and there looks to be a whole in there that maybe contained a grub screw but doesn’t now, how would you recommend I proceed? Maybe use a bit more force on the ceramic cap? I’m trying with a Stanley knife.

Thanks

Kevin

CAF76D82-ECB4-46E9-AC7B-413A3D348D0B.jpeg

Yes I would think it should come off , try warm it with a hair dryer or be careful and use a hot air gun

Maybe on of the four “prongs” unscrews and is hiding a grub screw?
Worth checking, some do it like that.

It looks like a shower I worked on recently. If so:

1. The ceramic index is glued to a threaded brass slug which screws into the cross head of the tap. Scale remover and some very hot water got it free.
2. The shroud behind the cross head (the smaller diameter chromed bit) has an allen grub screw underneath. Slacken this off and the shroud comes off.
3. Removing the shroud reveals the valve internals. The internals are threaded into the body of the valve and require a 17 mm Allen bit to remove, together with a lot of force.
4. Removing the internals shows a chromed shuttle valve which appears to regulate the hot water flow. This sticks quite easily.
5. The thermostat is a small capsule. You used to be able to get them from showerdoc (Mira "Element Realm" is the cartridge but not the shower) but they appear to be discontinued. They were about £50

In the end I found it impossible to get parts for this shower (including the numerous O rings) and it has been replaced. I wouldn't spend much time on it unless you know the make and model and find spares are obtainable.

Reply to Shower thermostatic mixer tap issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock