Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower pump working intermittently in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Darren Angel

Darren Angel New Member

Hi there, I have a twin shower pump that is installed in the loft (not the best place I guess). It has worked fine for about 7 years though. Recently though it will fine for about 3/4 minutes then the flow will slow to a dribble, by turning the shower off, then on again it will work again for another couple of minutes before slowing again. Is it just old and need replacing or is there something else causing the problem. I have a thermostatic shower valve, a few of the rubber inserts in the shower head are missing causing the water to run like a tap, not spray.

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

The inline filters need to be checked.
    You also could be getting air in the pipes.
    Could the pump be fitted on floor beside copper cylinder?
    Best job is an unvented cylinder, therefore no noisy pumps to fail, but unvented units require good flow & pressure from mains water

3. Darren Angel

Darren Angel New Member

Thanks for the reply. I could move the pump to the base of the cylinder. Does that increase the flow rate and therefore ensure the flowswitch operates properly? I will check the filters. I know its not positioned in the best place but it has worked fine for 7 years.

4. Best

The pump manufacturers always recommend the pump be fitted below the top of the cylinder and ideally and normally on floor beside cylinder.
    This is probably for several reasons, - avoids air to some extent, well below cold water tank base compared with if in attic, no heat can gravitate to pump, supply pipes (suction) are at a minimum, pump is quieter on the floor.

5. Darren Angel

Darren Angel New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I suspect I need a new pump as this one is 7 years old but I will move this one to the base of my cylinder first, then at least if I do have to replace the pump, the pipework and positioning of it will be in the right place.

6. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Make sure you fit with a suitable flange out of the hot water cylinder if there isn’t one already

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Best

Take a look at Stuart and Turner pumps. The Monsoon range is superb.
    There is positive head and negative head (universal), so got to decide if you have positive head and if so, does the pipes go overhead, risking the pump not starting each time, where you would need the universal

• Agree Agree x 1