Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss shower pump failure in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Kevin Baxter

Kevin Baxter New Member

Have a problem with a shower pump, its been working fine but over the past couple of weeks the pump doesn't start up when the shower valve is opened, in oder to get the pump to operate i have to undo the hot outlet pipe on the pump slightly to drain off maybe an eggcup of water and then it runs fine. any help appreciated, pump is a positive head salamander rsp50, its fed with dedicated cold supply from cold tank and via an essex flange from the hot cylinder, both inlets are 22mm up to the braided pipes on the pump and both outlets are 15mm to the shower , thanks

2. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Instead of doing that, try dropping the shower head or removing the shower head to see if that kicks it off?

3. Kevin Baxter

Kevin Baxter New Member

Thanks for your advice Ill give that a try tomorrow morning and et you know

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevin Baxter

Kevin Baxter New Member

hi, the shower is one of the thermostatic horizontal bar type with a fixed head and a smaller head on a flex pipe. I put the head with the flex pipe don on the shower floor and the pump started fine, I then switched over to the fixed head and the pump continued to run ok. not sure why it does that now as it has been running ok for weeks so something has changed and i cant understand what it might be.
    Thanks for your help

5. YorkshireDave

The issue is a lack of flow through the pump. By dropping the head, you put a little more pressure behind the flow.

If it were mine I'd be looking at filters, scaling of the thermostatic cartridge or scaling of the handset or head. If they are clear then you will need to look at the distance from the bottom of your water tank in the loft feeding the pump and the height of the overhead rose. This normally must be a MINIMUM of 300mm. If yours is less then you must either raise the tank or put in a negative head pump.

Last punt. If you finish your shower so flow is sent to the handset, and set the handset to its lowest height does it work consistently then? I suspect it might.

If it does, it will keep you going till you resolve it properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Flow switch/ reed switch is starting to play up. Contact manufacture as you may be able to buy and replace it (might have to buy the inlet hose if it`s in there).
    Start with the stuff Dave posted above first.

• Like Like x 1
  7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above, but first job is check the hand set. Try it without it on . Then check the other stuff .

8. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Dave it was working fine so shouldn`t need to raise the tank or change the pump surely?

9. YorkshireDave

When they are borderline, as I suspect this is, it will simply happen again if they don't remove the root cause of its borderlineness (!). They only ways to do that are pump type or tanks. I suppose you could try a gravity quality mixer valve though but they have, let's be polite, an 'entry level mixer' so it's always gonna be borderline.

Just thought of a new product tho cos this is a common as muck ;):eek:

10. Kevin Baxter

Kevin Baxter New Member

Hi everyone many thanks for all your help, i've been in the loft and calculated that the distance from the top of the shower head to the bottom of the cold tank is approx 60cm. Also I've set the handset to its lowest position and yes it work ok by switching to that first and then turning valve to use the fixed head a few seconds afterwards. based upon the help looks like to could be debris in the system somewhere, so next ill clean everything and see if that sorts it. I will certainly let you know. Once again appreciate all the help thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SalamanderPumps

SalamanderPumps New Member

Agree with most thats been said already, a positive head pump (RSP50) needs a natural flow rate of 1 litre per 30 seconds through the pumped outlet when the pump is switched off. Once this flow runs through the pump, it lifts the float switch, activating the pump. This can usually be achieved where there is a minimum distance of 600mm between the base of the cold water tank and the highest point in the system, downstream of the pump.
    If its a fairly new installation, check that no debris from the cold water tank has run through and partially blocked the inlet filter on the pump, which can sometimes be caused from when the tank was drilled to provide the pump with its supply.

Hope you were sorted and if not, hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 2