Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower options?? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

hi all. A friend of mine has just had her bathroom tiled but didn’t think about a shower before hand. However she now would like one. It’s a gravity hot water set up with no balanced cold in the house. Other than an electric shower are there any other reasonable options to look at?? Thanks

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Any tiles left over?

3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Shower bath taps?

4. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

What about the pressure differential on the gravity hot and mains cold feed?? Plus I'm thinking the pressure wouldn't be great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Either electric shower or mixer shower on a twin pump, you'll need a big enough cwsc and a suitable flange for the hot draw off the cylinder if you're using a pump.
    Spare tiles will be needed if you're burying the pipes. You could surface mount chrome pipes if you don't want to bash tiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

Aqualisa visage ceiling fed model. Digital processor/pump in loft with dedicated cold from tank, hot from surrey flange. Need 50 gallons cws. This is perfect for retrofit as no disturbance to tiles needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Blimey, that’s costly mate. I’m unsure of the size of the cws tank. I did explain that to have a mixer would be quite costly.

8. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Mira Vision pumped ceiling fed. Works fine, easy to maintain.

9. Tim S

Tim S New Member

As above, pumped ceiling fed digital (Aqualisa/Mira/Bristan). by the time you've costed for a decent shower valve and pump the cost isn't so bad. No disturbance to tiling, less labour/materials. Quick install.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

Pumped Visage is £350 in screwfix, try costing a reliable thermostatic valve with a quality riser/head and a half decent pump. It soon adds up. Plus as long as you have access to loft above they really are quick and easy to fit, also have a five year guarantee which they actually honour should you need it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

It’s still quite costly isn’t it? £350 for the shower then a couple of hundred for a pump, cost of a sparky and materials also. I did say that an electric was the cheapest option.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

You misunderstand me, the £350 gets you the pumped version so all you need to buy is a bit of pipework/fittings a fused spur and you're good to go. All in less than £400 usually, can do the sparky work yourself if competent as only in loft not bathroom.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Oh right. So the shower has pump built into the unit? Is it just a case of using a balanced cold and tee off the hot?

14. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

Yes there is a pump in the processor box. Not really plumbing wise - treat it like any other pump and run dedicated supplies. Cut into tank for a new cold, use surrey flange for new hot. The trick is to get air free supplies to the pump so that you don't kill it, these supplies should ONLY go to the pump to avoid possibility of starvation - again killing pump. Not too much more work but really is the best way, also guarantee will then hold up when they come to inspect installation.

15. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Thanks for all the info. I see that the processor box is best to be fitted above the shower in the loft, does this mean that my balanced cold off the cwst goes straight over to the box and my hot comes up off the cylinder? Is that about it in terms of Plumbing it? Sorry for the silly questions.