Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower making loud banging noise in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JasetheMace

JasetheMace New Member

I am going to a job tommorow and the customer says there is a loud noise coming when using shower in morning and seems to change when opening a tap and stops after a few minutes.
    The 2 showers are on a pump that are no way connected to taps, although both are teed into hot and cold rather then the flange and seperate cold connection from tank.
    I am cleaning out filters and replacing head gear on taps. I have already tested the 2 port valve isnt passing and tested shower in afternoon but it only made noise for a few seconds. As it only really happens with shower, I would be surprised if it was float valve.
    Anything else I should look at?

2. JasetheMace

JasetheMace New Member

Also forgot to mention it is monsoon pump which don't have filters in inlets as far as I know!

3. Tim S

Tim S Member

Could you be a little more specific...where is the noise coming from?.. the shower valves..the pump.. somewhere else in the system?..why did you test the port valve ?!..maybe some pics would help

4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Thought all ST pumps had inlet filters, that said if opening a tap stops the noise and the shower is working as expected I wouldn`t expect it to be down to filters.

5. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

Sounds like a pressure issue to me.

6. JasetheMace

JasetheMace New Member

So I have just visited, the noise came when the shower was running for a few minutes! The noise was under the bathroom somewhere. I was changing taps any way as very old and removed check valves on shower in case it was these vibrating!
    The noise appeared a couple of times and always stopped when tap opened.
    All cold taps on mains!
    I replaced taps and float valve and no noise!
    The old float valve wasn't opening fully so I am pretty sure it was float valve that was nakered and causing vibration down pipe! They only noticed it when having a shower as they only really have showers using tanks! Only time will tell but hopefully all sorted now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dazzle

dazzle New Member

Had this myself , fitting to pump had come a little loose , tightened it up and banging stopped