Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower Isolation Valve Location in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood Member

I'm currently doing a bathroom and replacing a bath with a raised shower tray and cubicle. I have already sunk some pipes into the brick wall the shower will be going on. They are not yet soldered into the feed yet though. I have the feed coming in under the floorboards but don't see many options for fitment of isolation valves and am considering not fitting any. I am also considering that I could fit isolation valves under the floorboards with an access panel; I could do this where the basin would be and the basin unit would sit above the access panel. I'm not convinced I like the idea of compression joints under the floor boards though. The other possibility is there will be an area of about 200mm or so that will be boxed in where the raised shower joins to the basin cabinet. I could box this in by leave the top accessible This would be the section above the floor just before it bends down into the floor cavity.

I've attached some pics (I think!!!).

I would appreciate any views.

Thanks,

Daz IMG_20190210_100538.jpg IMG_20190210_100350.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yep not particularly good practice , but I probably wouldnt fit them on this type of job

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No iso on them I would

4. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber Top Contributor!!

I'd go for the fitting them under floorboard 'with' access hatch option.

• Like Like x 1
  5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Probably tiled pal , not worth it for the times you may need to use them.( IMO of course)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber Top Contributor!!

Yep I agree that for the few times you need to isolate a shower, its not worth messing up tiling or spending inordinate amounts of time/money on it and it would be fine without. But as the OP specifically mentioned it as an option, I assumed he'd got somewhere to put the access hatch that wouldn't interfere to much with the finish.

7. CBW1982

CBW1982 Member

Could you not get them fitted on the shower valve? Eg if you haven’t already picked your shower get them with them on?

8. DazJWood

DazJWood Member

Thanks for all your ideas and replies.

Still thinking I could put them in the 200mm boxed area and leave it accessible somehow.

I have already got the shower. Not sure I understand how you mean anyway. Surely if some shower valves come with them on then if you need to change the shower valve in the future then you'll have to turn off at the mains still.

Thanks

Daz.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CBW1982

CBW1982 Member

There is that yes, but I believe they also serve the purpose of saving water on the maintenance side of things, such as if you need to replace a washer in the valve, etc. Showers like the Trevi CTV have isolators on the elbows connecting the shower. Try putting them in the boxed in area then.

10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

not many showers these days come with built in isos even then its best to leave alone as they normally leak when you move them 5-10 years after its been installed etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. CBW1982

CBW1982 Member

Ok I see I’ve lost the argument on this one :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Please put some felt sleaving over those pipes burried in the wall ;)

• Agree Agree x 2