Currently reading:
shower booster for hot taps

Discuss shower booster for hot taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrianfs1

hi all, got a question, shower pump supplying hot and cold to shower, cold is dedicated supply from cwsc, hot supplied from cylinder via a surry flange,
customer has asked me can i rig the rest of his hot water taps via the pump i think yes although not sure of any possible negative implications.
If i tee into the hot supply just before the shower then connect this below the hot water supply/vent pipe of wich will be capped this will give me a pumped supply, but once i have capped off the original hot feed/vent pipe( Obviously vent will still be operative) will this a viable option, hope i have explained it ok. cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - So from your post I realise you know the implications of capping/blocking the open vent. So I won't go there.

As for taping in where you suggest. I think that may be a bad idea. It could possibly cause water to just sploosh out of the open vent...infact I think it would.

It's a weird request and I havent quite got my head around it. I think it's possible. I guess an unvented cylinder is not a viable alternative?

I run my bathroom from a 3bar Stewart Turner pump. It runs the WC, basin, bath & shower...but that's all just one dead leg into the bathroom. Your situation is a little trickier.

Last edited:
thanks for ur reply danny, not capping the vent, only capping the supply, then reconnecting the supply via hot supply to shower.

Yeah, that's what I figured. It made me scratch my head a bit though.

I think it sounds viable. It will have to be a good/powerful pump though. Also I can't imagine there are any negative head situations as you would have mentioned it, but it could be a problem if there was?

Finally, I was called out to fix a pump that another plumber had fitted and scarpered. I phoned the manufacturer for advise, after it still wasn't working and they were very helpful. (Salamander). Together we got it sorted.

no negative head issues no, however i am doubting the pumps capabilities, already explained this to the customer, i feel that a shower and a tap on at the same time might struggle, although i may well give it a go, just needed to know that i was not going to put anyone in danger, cheers mate.

Just remove surrey flange and run through pump ,why mess around ,also, if you leave the surrey flange in and connect up to it,you are reducing the amount of stored hot water ,as you will be taking hot water from 200mm or so from top of cylinder
However pump used should be a system pump designed to work ok when single out let opened,also vent length should be checked against pump used, if you pump w/c,maybe a timer on it to stop pump working in the middle of the night

Last edited by a moderator:
no negative head issues no, however i am doubting the pumps capabilities, already explained this to the customer, i feel that a shower and a tap on at the same time might struggle, although i may well give it a go, just needed to know that i was not going to put anyone in danger, cheers mate.

No probs. Can't see that it would be dangerous...but an opinion or two from some of the old boys would always be helpful.

I'll check back on this thread tomorrow, as I'm very interested in ideas and the outcome now. Until then, I'm off to catch some Zzzzzz's.

Good luck with it mate.

w/c not connected, only hot water, and dedicated cold supply to shower, only 2 people in the house they say they dont use a lot of hot water suppose they got bored waiting for it, believe me it would be easier for me to repipe the way i suggested its an absolute nightmare, the pump is a system pump and only operates on demand ( Ah, what about the washing machine ) they wont want pump kicking in everytime for that, unless its a cold feed washer, ill find out. cheers for that puddle.

Have a look at Dab pumps. They may have a solution for you.
Also follow Puddle's advice.

hi guys, just to let u no, went to sort this pump out today took me 30 mins and it works a treat, customer over the moon, thanks for all youre advice guys much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to shower booster for hot taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock