Search the forum,

Discuss should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baileys

My plumbers say i dont need one as i have thermostatic valves on my radiators but the GSE says i do. Im in a two bedroom maisonette. [FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Having a room thermostat should make the system more efficient. But you won't need the thermostatic radiator valve in the room where the room thermostat is.

Are you having a new boiler fitted?

Yes you should have a room stat fitted. Was it listed on the quote?

its a requirement of the regs. Tell him you want one fitting, your the customer!

You have to have one fitted. Don`t forget you can go for a wired thermostat or a wireless programmable room stat, which are very good.

Plumber says no but Gas safe man says yes. Who is fitting it?
All the extras cost money and if the budget was tight something has to go.
It will still work without a room thermostat but you will have less control and use slightly more gas

You should have one but it is becoming a matter of course that some are only pricing the bare minimum on jobs to keep the cost down. Just tell him you want one added to the quote.

Your benchmark will be filled out (hopefully) and there is a requirement to provide interlock. A room stat is the simplest and most common way of doing this. I would be questioning whether you have chosen the right installer for the job if they do not recognise this requirement regardless of personal opinion. If we could pick and choose what reg's to abide by then it would make the job a lot easier but ..... Unregulated?

Well he has just been round to bleed the rads because most of them were cold this morning and he still insists that i dont need a room thermostat, i asked him if the boiler will be more efficient if i have one and he said no.
I never asked him to do it as cheap as possible, i just asked him for a quote for heating and presumed he would offer me what i needed. Everybody i know with a combi has a room thermostat but he says you only need one if you have a big house.

As far as I am aware it is regulation and my mate had a gas safe inspection last week on a system I forget the details but was not a complete new system he has had a letter from gas safe stating a thermostat has to be fitted ?
I will find out why ?

As far as I am aware it is regulation and my mate had a gas safe inspection last week on a system I forget the details but was not a complete new system he has had a letter from gas safe stating a thermostat has to be fitted ?
I will find out why ?

Ok thanks.

Of course it will be more efficient as you are not cycling the boiler and heating up pipework when no rads are calling for heat !

Of course it will be more efficient as you are not cycling the boiler and heating up pipework when no rads are calling for heat !
Thats what i though when i read about it, it makes sense to me but he didnt agree.

Have you had different people fitting the boiler and the radiators?
What does the quote say?

The building regulations are Part L and I think table 2 ?
You can find it online I am sure ? ish !

your boiler requires interlock between its controls to operate efficiently and meet the building regulations. the cost of a room stat will be saved on your bill within one year, two at most. £15 for a stat, £5-£10 for cable and consumables, an extra hour or so in labour time if hes competent to fit one.

Thats what i though when i read about it, it makes sense to me but he didnt agree.

Hi baileys ... As far as I am aware you are in the right here and the installer is contravening building regulations (Part L) and will lie when filling in the 'Benchmark' in your boiler installation instructions'. If they insist that they do not fit one then ask if they are registering the installation.​YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT REGISTERED! If so insist that they register your details and contact phone number....!

Have you had different people fitting the boiler and the radiators?
What does the quote say?
yes...the plumber wanted to do the boiler himself but i wouldnt let him as he is not a GSE. originally he told me he has a GSE that came in after he had done the wet work.

Hi baileys ... As far as I am aware you are in the right here and the installer is contravening building regulations (Part L) and will lie when filling in the 'Benchmark' in your boiler installation instructions'. If they insist that they do not fit one then ask if they are registering the installation.​YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT REGISTERED! If so insist that they register your details and contact phone number....!
Im getting confused here. The GSE came and connected me and filled in the necessary forms and said he would send them off himself.

Im getting confused here. The GSE came and connected me and filled in the necessary forms and said he would send them off himself.

So expect a form through the post in a couple of days letting you know that the appliance has been registered :) It's important that you have this piece of paper should you ever want to sell your home on. :)

So expect a form through the post in a couple of days letting you know that the appliance has been registered :) It's important that you have this piece of paper should you ever want to sell your home on. :)
yep will do. I just seem to be having so much trouble with my heating i wish i had stuck with my storage heaters. They only seem to work on the highest setting, anything lower and they go cold, he says its air but ive bled them and water comes out. He has told me to leave them on high for a week to get rid of the air.

have a look at the bench mark form he should have filled in and left with you its often in the back of the manufacturers instructions look what he has put regarding interlock

yep will do. I just seem to be having so much trouble with my heating i wish i had stuck with my storage heaters. They only seem to work on the highest setting, anything lower and they go cold, he says its air but ive bled them and water comes out. He has told me to leave them on high for a week to get rid of the air.

That's not right. A new system should work straight away. They need to get back to you and get it working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to should i have a room thermostat with my combi boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock