Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Should I claim on my insurance for unavoidable damage on a job? in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Insist on giving people an estimate or quote, even if they tell you to go ahead with job without one. That way you can have a disclaimer on your quote saying, " Care will be taken to avoid damage, but No responsibility can be taken for existing worktop and basin and pipework etc, should they already be faulty or become damaged when removed"
    More friendly, rather than verbally and it will be proof of informing customer of risk.
    The customer could lie later to insurance or court and say you never told them if you haven't done the paperwork and kept copies. Also take photos, before, during and after job completed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jennie

Jennie GSR

Hi all, Thought you might like to know the outcome. I'm a bit sore about it. The insurance company is replacing the vanity unit/WC/basin, rather than repairing the cracks to the laminate. The payout will be £2,000. Repairs could have just involved a carpenter fitting a new top panel (worktop) and front panel under the basin. I've been held 100 percent responsible, despite having the customer's permission to remove the basin from 12-yr-old water-swollen cheap laminated chipboard, on work that was essential (the customer wanted working taps that didn't leak from the rusted tap connections). My downfall was not warning them of potential damage. I have a £500 excess, plus higher premiums come renewal time. Oh it sucks. :-(

3. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Oh that hurts.

I feel sorry for you, big time.
    Unfortunately in my opinion the little claim courts are the cause of such a trouble. It is very easy and simple to open a case for just £25. In other countries it will cost fortunes to open a case as well as months to get started. People are taking an advantage of the system especially if they know they can get things fir free.
    Basically everything you do needs to have a back up for yourself otherwise you will end up having problems like this over and over again.

As masood said, don't do it verbally (it won't help in the claim court) do it with written agreements. If they do not want to sign then you know what they are looking for.

I think we should have also a chance to complain about rouge customers same as they have got a chance to leave bad reviews about you. We should have also a website with rouge customers so engineers would know who to avoid.

4. SlimD

SlimD GSR

That really sucks! Some people seem to think it's ok to take others for a ride so long as they're getting a freeby. It's not on! Totally agree with Matchless that there should be a trade website for rogue customers.