Search the forum,

Discuss Should a Bronze Pump have a a Timer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m a homeowner with no experience of hot water systems, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve not been living in my house for the last 12 months (due to a flood), but I’ve recently had a much higher than expected bill. I had a brand new boiler and cylinder with bronze pump fitted in the garage 10 months ago. There has been a constant noise coming from the garage for 10 months, but neither the electrician nor plumber had an answer. I have now been told the noise may be the bronze pump that the plumber fitted as part of the system (which I didn’t even realise was there). It has been fitted without a timer and makes a noise 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

I have spoken with the manufacturers of the bronze pumps who said that a timer should be fitted as standard with this pump and a secondary hot water return. However, neither the plumber nor electrician even mentioned this to me, even though it was a brand new system / plumbing throughout the house and re-wire. I didn't even know this was an option. Does anyone know whether fitting a timer may help with the bills? How much does it cost to run a bronze pump 24 hours per day on a secondary hot water return? Could it just be left running?

Does anyone know whether fitting a timer may help with the bills? How much does it cost to run a bronze pump 24 hours per day on a secondary hot water return? Could it just be left running?

It will use around 50-60 Watts, if it's a domestic 15/50 circulator.
Similar to a table lamp bulb (real bulbs). It is up to you if you want to time it. Obviously it doesn't need to be on all day and night, only when you're in.
It gets rid of the dead legs in the Domestic Hot Water circuit so that you don't need to run water off to get hot through to a draw off point. If the Plumber designed the system with that in, I presume it's a large house or at least has long runs of pipe to taps from the Cylinder?

I’m a homeowner with no experience of hot water systems, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve not been living in my house for the last 12 months (due to a flood), but I’ve recently had a much higher than expected bill. I had a brand new boiler and cylinder with bronze pump fitted in the garage 10 months ago. There has been a constant noise coming from the garage for 10 months, but neither the electrician nor plumber had an answer. I have now been told the noise may be the bronze pump that the plumber fitted as part of the system (which I didn’t even realise was there). It has been fitted without a timer and makes a noise 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

I have spoken with the manufacturers of the bronze pumps who said that a timer should be fitted as standard with this pump and a secondary hot water return. However, neither the plumber nor electrician even mentioned this to me, even though it was a brand new system / plumbing throughout the house and re-wire. I didn't even know this was an option. Does anyone know whether fitting a timer may help with the bills? How much does it cost to run a bronze pump 24 hours per day on a secondary hot water return? Could it just be left running?

To expand upon my colleague's explanation.

As the distance to basins, baths & showers is quite large, when a hot tap is run it would take some time for hot water to get to the tap. So, this 'circulator' is fitted. Being fitted it means that hot water is almost instantly available.

To achieve this it must circulate the hot water. Normally this pump would be 'timed' so that it runs at times of peak demand such as mornings when everyone is getting up they don't have to wait around. However! There is a cost to this convenience. Firstly there is the cost of running the pump and then there is a cost of the lost energy from circulating hot water (which obvs loses some of its heat).

At the very least, the pump should not run overnight. So, get yourself a good electrician who can interlock the pump into the hot water control circuit and also put in a multi session timer so you can have it run when its needed and not when its not. Make sure the sparks includes a fixed time override too so if you suddently need it for an hour all you have to do is press a buttoon rather than reprogramme. Your savings, I suspect, will be not inconsiderable. HTH. ;)

Normally either a timer or pir sensor is used to interlock the pump

What pump has been installed ?
There are now much more energy efficient secondary circulators out there using a lot less than the 50-60Watts quoted. You can buy them with built in timers saving the electrical costs or you could use that money to buy a smart pump with Autoadapt which continually learns your pattens of use & turns itself on & off to match - Comfort 15-14 BXA PM.

Just as important is the requirement (by Law) that the flow & return hot water pipes forming this system are insulated to limit the heatloss when it is running.

What pump has been installed ?
There are now much more energy efficient secondary circulators out there using a lot less than the 50-60Watts quoted. You can buy them with built in timers saving the electrical costs or you could use that money to buy a smart pump with Autoadapt which continually learns your pattens of use & turns itself on & off to match - Comfort 15-14 BXA PM.

Just as important is the requirement (by Law) that the flow & return hot water pipes forming this system are insulated to limit the heatloss when it is running.

That insulation requirement is not retrospective though - as sensible as it is.
One other thing there. Something deep in the empty space tween my ears says the return pipework must NOT be plastic or specifically gas permeable plastic. Thinking copper or MLCP okay but not too sure...

That insulation requirement is not retrospective though - as sensible as it is.
One other thing there. Something deep in the empty space tween my ears says the return pipework must NOT be plastic or specifically gas permeable plastic. Thinking copper or MLCP okay but not too sure...

Plastic is a big no no on secondary circuits not just the return. It doesn't like being hot all the time.

True but if your fitting a return at a later date boards etc would have to come up anyway so may as well double check.

Otherwise it would be a case of pipe splitting further down the line and you know who the customer would blame.

Plastic is a big no no on secondary circuits not just the return. It doesn't like being hot all the time.

I think it's the heat combined with a constantly replenishing source of water that causes it to fail. Afterall I don't think there are any warnings about running your heating 24/7 (that I know of) using plastic pipework. Maybe it's something to do with heat and oxygenated water that causes the higher risk of failure if used in secondary returns?

I think it's the heat combined with a constantly replenishing source of water that causes it to fail. Afterall I don't think there are any warnings about running your heating 24/7 (that I know of) using plastic pipework. Maybe it's something to do with heat and oxygenated water that causes the higher risk of failure if used in secondary returns?

Remember the oxy is why you use a bronze or st/st pump.

I think it's more to do with the pressure and constant heat. You don't have your heating constantly at 60deg and 3-3.5 bar.

I can't remember but it was a rep that told me as I asked why you couldn't use it but that was years ago.

I think it's more to do with the pressure and constant heat. You don't have your heating constantly at 60deg and 3-3.5 bar.

I can't remember but it was a rep that told me as I asked why you couldn't use it but that was years ago.

Very true, certainly a different situation regarding the pressure.

As far as I know for new modern pumps in single-family homes the power absorbed is between 10 and 30 watts e.g Older models, however can claim significantly more power for the circulation. In such cases replacement with a more modern device can pay for itself quickly off especially when newer devices are often also equipped with an integrated thermostat via which the pump is switched off automatically after reaching a certain temperature. But the pump should not be longer off than 8h due to the legionella. You also have to make sure to keep the temperature up over 60 degrees.

Reply to Should a Bronze Pump have a a Timer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s also found that when the hot water is set to off on the programe timer, the boiler is still heating up water. I wonder if this is because the engineer...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the digital pump. He did not inform us that we would need a new processor because we had changed to a Combi and subsequently a valve blew. Should my builders...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock