Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Sewer gas smell in bathroom, advice needed in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Paul6

Paul6 New Member

Hi there, this is my first posting so hope I get it right, forgive me if not. (Sorry I've just realised it might have been better to post this in the bathroom forum but don't know how to move it).

The toilet in our ensuite bathroom has always been slow to drain, we suspect due to not enough of a fall in pipework, plus a modern flush that uses less water, so it has clogged regularly every six months or so. Usually sorted with a blast with a plunger. This happened at christmas with extra people in the house but we thought we'd sorted the blockage. However since then there has been a nasty smell in the bathroom, especially if door and window is closed. Long story short I've removed a tile from the boxing in behind toilet and can see that there are no 'wet leaks'. However the smell is definitely stronger here. Any suggestions on where to start identifying the problem. I've added a photo of the connection to toilet, can these crack or need new seals? Sorry I don't know the correct terms.
    Thanks

upload_2019-1-18_11-9-4.png

2. RayW

RayW New Member

Have you got an AAV? It's always the AAV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

I think that you've got two problems, which may or may not stem from the same root cause. Firstly you have poor emptying and regular blockages. You need someone with a drain camera to investigate and fix this next time it happens. Secondly, you have the smell, which could be the AAV if you have one, or a leaky joint that your plunging has opened up, or (rarely) a faulty toilet bowl, or (commonly) a break at the foot of the downpipe.

This is something that needs fixing properly and it probably a bit beyond the scope of DIY as you'll need a drain camera and the kit needed to pressure test the drain.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Ugh, the dreaded flexi.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Check that the traps on the bath,shower and basin are not evacuating when bog is flushed ...ie pour some water or bleach down till they are full, see if it dis appears over course of a day or so. is your bog an internal overflow or external job ?

6. Paul6

Paul6 New Member

Not that I know of... most of the pipe is behind walls though and doesn't seem to be any access, unless in the loft, which I can't get into at the moment.

7. Paul6

Paul6 New Member

Thankyou for your reply. I don't know how the flow from toilet could be fixed as there is no way to improve the angle of the pipework? I don't think there is an AAV, as far as I can tell but most of the pipework is behind walls, built in cupboards that aren't easy to get to. There is no sign of any 'wet' leaks as far as I can tell. The smell is only recent, since the latest plunging was needed, so I guess it could stem from then.
    Its a really awkward place to get to, without needing a lot of repair work, which is a pain but it seems like I might need to call a more experienced plumber.
    Thanks again.

8. Paul6

Paul6 New Member

Sorry if I'm being dumb but I have no idea what drrs means?

9. Paul6

Paul6 New Member

Its an internal one, nearly all hidden behind boxing in etc. The smell is definitely coming from behind the toilet though, not elsewhere in the room. Much bleach has been used by my wife!

10. Rob Foster

no drrs just AAV ...automatic air vent lets air in behind your poo etc and corrects a vacuum
    but crucially only works one way ..air in smells NOT out
    when they fail as they are a mechanical device...smelly uck
    look up pics of aav and see if you can see one ,inside or outside your gaff
    Rob Foster ...aka centralheatking

11. rpm

Sounds like yet another "Pretty Bathroom" with absolutely no thought given as to access in time. :mad::mad::mad: Time to take the toilet out/ take the boxing out/ take the wall down/ access it from the other side of the wall? Whatever is needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rob Foster

looks like a dead rat l/h side of the vertical copper
    in the distance ...they really honk ..chking

13. rpm

Piece of wood.

14. Rob Foster

that looks like a dead rat ,