Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell since loft bathroom installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have just installed a bathroom in our loft conversion (2nd floor) and since then the bathroom on the first floor started smelling unbelievably bad. All I know is that they didn't put a soil pipe on the outside on the house but rather on the inside. The smell in the bathroom is coming from the shower only, not the tub or sinks. Our builder put One Shot drain cleaner in it which helped for one day only. The smell is so bad that it travels into the downstairs dining and living room, we can't even have guests over anymore without keeping the bathroom door firmly shut. Please help, this isn't normal and it severely devalues our house! Thanks

You have answerd your own question it needs venting to outside, the water in be trap or traps is being sucked out allowing smells to enter your property a few pictures of how it terminates would help. Cheers kop

Check the shower trap is complete unit and fits together correctly. They can sometimes distort and not form a seal.

My money's on not sufficient vent. Sucking water out of shower trap. Need to see end of soil pipe in loft area. Durgo may fix it.

Most likely, lack of drain vent.

But as above take the cover off the shower trap and see if there is a small bucket arrangement. With a tube that drops in.
Even better . Post a picture of the trap, with the chrome cover off.

Hi, thanks everybody for their input! I've uploaded the picture from the smelly shower (1st floor). BTW, we noticed it gets worse when we flush the ground floor guest toilet... Trying to wrap my head around how this can be but am clearly not a plumber...

20171130_222051.jpg

Run a bit of water into that shower trap to and get someone to flush the guest toilet whilst keeping an eye on the water in the shower trap. You will likely see the water either get pushed up out of the trap and releasing a stink with it, or conversely it may pull the water out of the trap and down the drain, thus losing it's trap seal effect and letting the sewer smells in that way. That would indicate a venting problem is likely.

I had assumed (I suppose one should never make assumptions!) that the OP had taken that part off to let us get a look at what's underneath. However if that part is actually missing then you've solved it.

Hi all, thanks so much for your input. That part is indeed missing and I've emailed the company to see if they can send another one through.

Hopefully we'll manage to have a non smelly Christmas
I'll keep you posted!

Hi all, as suggested I contacted the company and they sent me the missing part. The problem is that it doesn't fit into the channel which is probably why my builder didn't attach it (photo attached). So what do I do now?

20171208_064452.jpg

Oh dear.
The "builder has tiled it incorrectly. Those trays come with a foam template to tile around. Looks like they need to return and cut the tiles back.

Oh dear.
The "builder has tiled it incorrectly. Those trays come with a foam template to tile around. Looks like they need to return and cut the tiles back.

It's not the best but could you cut the plastic to fit or is it there for a reason?

Good old builders, think they can do the plumbing as well & grab more profit instead of getting a proper plumber in.
As above get them back to rectify issues.
Good luck chasing them up.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sewage smell since loft bathroom installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock