Search the forum,

Discuss Servicing ideal classic ff240 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Hi guys, got to service the above boiler soon and as I haven't done one before just thought I'd ask a few questions.

Regarding removing the fan, I have to remove the silicone tubes from the aps, do these need replacing or do they generally keep in good condition.

Says to check the rope seal, I have some spare stuff in the van if it needs replacing but it's not sticky, what do you use as an adhesive?

And the heat insulation pads, do they fall to bits when you touch them or should they come out and go back in with no problems.

I know you can't say for sure but just wondering, generally, are they trouble free when servicing?

Thanks

TBH I wouldn’t be removing the fan unless you need to and need new aps tubes as they go with the heat

Manufacturers own seal for said boiler

Shouldn’t need to be removed

A large flat head screwdriver and slow movements on the APS tubes. They split most of the time, but generally they are long enough to pop back on. There will be a lot of muck under the fan as no one ever removes them. I have never had a rope seal that has needed changing. The insulation’s pads aren’t generally bad either but have had a couple cracked before.

Thanks gents, really helpful as usual. How will I know if the fan needs removing? Looking at the instructions it shows you need to, to clean the top of the heat ex which should be done every service should it not?

Thanks gents, really helpful as usual. How will I know if the fan needs removing? Looking at the instructions it shows you need to, to clean the top of the heat ex which should be done every service should it not?
Yes it should mate. But as I said above. No one ever does.

Depends on readings

I tend to strip these when I service them and do a thorough job. Making sure to clean flue ways and fan blades every-time (old fashioned I know). I did link to the service instructions but then re-read the post so I see you must already have it?

I would remove the fan. But beware the electrical connection can collapse with a little effort, and always have some spare tube.

I always point out to the punter the potential for breakages - BEFORE starting. Otherwise it wii be a case if “it was okay before you touched it”.

Generally, though, they are straightforward. I recall a few years ago slipping a spanner off the pilot nut and cracking the electrode. I was going on holiday 2 days later, so had to spend hours driving to pick up a spare. But totally my fault.

I would remove the fan. But beware the electrical connection can collapse with a little effort, and always have some spare tube.

I always point out to the punter the potential for breakages - BEFORE starting. Otherwise it wii be a case if “it was okay before you touched it”.

Generally, though, they are straightforward. I recall a few years ago slipping a spanner off the pilot nut and cracking the electrode. I was going on holiday 2 days later, so had to spend hours driving to pick up a spare. But totally my fault.
Accidents happen mate. But the tubes clearly get brittle and that is just ware and tear.

Accidents happen mate. But the tubes clearly get brittle and that is just ware and tear.

Absolutely true. Which is why I point out BEFORE starting. Otherwise it can sound like you are making excuses. Prewarning stops arguments before they start. IMO

Thanks guys. Priced the service on an all is ok basis. Told them possible extras if brittle parts break etc and haven't had a reply back :oops:

Also tip for removing the fan is remove the 2 retaining bars (the ones at the front which have the 2 nuts on them).
Then lever the top assembly up a bit at the front. It's then normally enough to undo the back screw with your fingers rather than faffing about with a ratchet spanner in the back (as often not enough clearance between that back screw and the flue assembly depending on what direction the flue is running)

Same goes for re-assembly. Do the rear screw up tight first with fingers and tilting the hood assembly towards the back of the boiler. Then pull down to fit the two securing rods in. Gets a nice tight seal on the gasket without mucking about.

And don't forgot the white tube at the back that leads to the test point. Seen so many engineers pull to 2 aps tubes off then pull the fan assembly out forgetting about the extra white test point tube and breaking it into pieces as they yank the fan out.

Also put of curiosity what price you quoted them for service with strip down clean etc? If you don't mine me asking of course.
As I seem to hear all sorts of different pricing but most seem to be priced as a telegan and run unfortunately.

Also tip for removing the fan is remove the 2 retaining bars (the ones at the front which have the 2 nuts on them).
Then lever the top assembly up a bit at the front. It's then normally enough to undo the back screw with your fingers rather than faffing about with a ratchet spanner in the back (as often not enough clearance between that back screw and the flue assembly depending on what direction the flue is running)

Same goes for re-assembly. Do the rear screw up tight first with fingers and tilting the hood assembly towards the back of the boiler. Then pull down to fit the two securing rods in. Gets a nice tight seal on the gasket without mucking about.

And don't forgot the white tube at the back that leads to the test point. Seen so many engineers pull to 2 aps tubes off then pull the fan assembly out forgetting about the extra white test point tube and breaking it into pieces as they yank the fan out.

Also put of curiosity what price you quoted them for service with strip down clean etc? If you don't mine me asking of course.
As I seem to hear all sorts of different pricing but most seem to be priced as a telegan and run unfortunately.
Should be able to do that in your standard service price mate

Should be able to do that in your standard service price mate
I agree.
I work for another business at the moment who have fixed prices on their work which is an aspect I don't have alot of involvement in.

But have people I know doing boiler services with the old telegan being enough in their eyes. Personally if I do service for friends and family ill strip down and clean/replace everything as needed.

Just curious what people are quoting for a proper service rather than an "inspection"

I agree.
I work for another business at the moment who have fixed prices on their work which is an aspect I don't have alot of involvement in.

But have people I know doing boiler services with the old telegan being enough in their eyes. Personally if I do service for friends and family ill strip down and clean/replace everything as needed.

Just curious what people are quoting for a proper service rather than an "inspection"
Depends on area and appliance I believe mate.

Reply to Servicing ideal classic ff240 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock