Search the forum,

Discuss servicing adverts £49 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

Keep seeing boiler servincing adverts for £49 advertised in my area .
IMO this cant be done properly a basic gas safety check yes but full service surely cant be possible for this price. If there is someone on here who does gas services for £49 can you explain what you offer for that because you cant be cleaning appliance properly nor chaecking over appliance adequately nor checking working parts nor offering a top up of inhibitor .Here to be proved wrong !!!!

It will be a stick an analyser in and spin it out for a half hour job. Taking the cover off is an extra :lol:

does it say £49 or from £49.
FOr 30 mins work or less then £49 aint a bad way to earn a living.
You could easily advertise this and get 30 customers a week, £1500 a week.
I try and steer clear of servicing etc, but I have to sometimes and charge £60 for a Boiler. This is my local engineers average cost.

Last edited:
Says nothing about from £49 just says gas servicing £49 on the ones i have seen , i did think if its from £49 then pile hidden extras would be added on . To me this just says tt followed by analyser stuck in flue and rattle screwdriver around boiler for 30 mins.
To me these advert says cowboy ripping the public off , to the unaware public this says bargain !!
Be interested if anyone on here who can do a full service for £49 can actually tell me what they do ?

never mind servicing , i was talking to a guy last night who lost a boiler change by several hundred pounds, using the same boiler and clock etc he rekons the guy who got the job is fitting a new boiler fo £85 labour

or maybe its stolen ???

boiler service's are being advertised around here for between £50-60 pound

Its cheap but I wouldnt say ridiculously cheap, there is no real material cost in servicing in general. Obviously the odd appliance may need gasket kits or an icos needs ionisation probes. Say its an old ideal mexico or something, could spend an hour there giving it a good old clean out, doing all the checks etc. All you need is some smoke pellets, matches and maybe some glass rope and you have earnt yourself £49 for an hours work. You may get unlucky and get a backboiler and fire and spend an hour and a half to two hours, but then your next one could be a one year old boiler which needs nothing doing to it.

£49 doesn't seem too cheap to me if you can get several on the same day in your locality.
Even a back boiler/gas fire can be done in an hour unless it's sooted.
If that's the case then you renegotiate the price.

Keep seeing boiler servincing adverts for £49 advertised in my area .
IMO this cant be done properly a basic gas safety check yes but full service surely cant be possible for this price. If there is someone on here who does gas services for £49 can you explain what you offer for that because you cant be cleaning appliance properly nor chaecking over appliance adequately nor checking working parts nor offering a top up of inhibitor .Here to be proved wrong !!!!

i hear waht your saying fella , but on an inspection we had last year the GSRi asked why we were removing casing , i said cos its a service , he told me no need just fga and then if needed do a strip down (this was a duo-tec24kw) , i asked him how i can justify my price for 10-15 minutes work . this is when it startyed going pear shape and he bombarded me with stupid stuff.

imho 49 is a probe in probe out , bit of banging hear and there and gone. me i wouldnt put my name to anything like that. you pay for what you get

Totally agree with last post (mfgs), and my experiences are just so, more to the point this all depends on what a service is defined as. I would be interested to know what the initial post would charge for the proper service inc inhibitor top-up. I often get folks asking for services, then arrive to find that they actually need a repair:shout:

A service now means, Analyse reading first, if it passes you dont remove the casing. You only remove the casing if it fails and needs investigating. This is why £49 is not as low as you think.
If any of you are still doing an old style service (removing case and cleaning burners etc) then you are not doing it to most companies standards.
This is why you are now probably double the price of many other local companies.
No they may not do as much as you (clean burners etc) but they are doing it to todays required standards, so why do more than you have to, if it means you losing work for it.

Last edited:
surely you need to remove the case for a visual inspection of the condition of the appliance ???

You who are taking the casing off and cleaning, are you then taking a second reading?? If not again you are not doing it correctly.
You do the flue analyser firstly, then either you are finished if it passes or you remove the cover to investigate if it faills then do a second one to see if it has passed now.

surely you need to remove the case for a visual inspection of the condition of the appliance ???

No you do not remove the case if it passes, simple as that.
Well unless you want to do a second reading after the casing is put back on, thats up to you.

I always remove the casing, I dont know why you wouldnt??? You could see a small leak which hasnt been visible from the outside yet, signs of damage from a gasket on its way out etc etc all of which could happen with the analyser reading being spot on. What do you do on the Worcesters? They require checking the fan pressure to be checked on every service.

I'm of the old school really.
A boiler service should at least include case off, visual inspection of components, and brushing/vacuuming.
Inhibitor top-up is IMHO nothing to do with a boiler service, it is an extra.

Agree, I dont know anyone who puts inhibitor in as standard on a boiler service.

Surely you would follow boiler MI'S ?
clean fan,condense trap , burner etc etc so casing should come off if mi's say so well thats the way i look at it , as already mentioned on earlier post most of the services i get asked to do is because a fault exists . I can understand the £49 if your just analysing and faffing about but imho your ripping cust off .

Agree, I dont know anyone who puts inhibitor in as standard on a boiler service.

Some boiler mi's put it down as recommend on service, besides i have about 500 litres of it nabbed off site in my garage.

I agree yes, taking the casing off could possibly mean you see a small leak etc.
But do you then take a second reading after putting the casing back on??
If not then you are doing it wrong, times are changing and you have to come into line if you want the work.

Yeah you take a second reading after doing anything that could affect combustion. Are you seriously telling me you wont take the case off because you dont want to do a second combustion analysis?

So in other words for £49 you basically analyse a boiler ,,,,,i can do that then lol

I've just bought a new FGA to celebrate my shiny new CPA ticket. I test everything in sight in order to justify the extortionate cost of being allowed to work :-/

I've just bought a new FGA to celebrate my shiny new CPA ticket. I test everything in sight in order to justify the extortionate cost of being allowed to work :-/

try passing wind on it then check the readings

Yeah you take a second reading after doing anything that could affect combustion. Are you seriously telling me you wont take the case off because you dont want to do a second combustion analysis?
I am asking about 2nd flue test to you who take the casing off.
As I have said earlier, I try not to get involved with servicing, its not for me, very boring and no job satisfaction.
All I am quoting is the required standards of todays service engineers who are working for companies, very large companies like BG etc.

The whole idea of what a service is has been swayed by BG's idea of a "service" which in reality is nothing more than a combustion check. It is not a matter of us not doing it to other companies standards , maybe more a case of they are not doing it to ours as it doesn't fit with their business model and practices.

A look through any mi's will give a list of checks and procedures that should be carried out during a service and afaik every one of them require removing the case no matter which boiler it is.

Next time the car is in for a service maybe the mechanic will just stick his analyser up the exhaust, check the fluid levels and tell me it is fine. Not my idea of a service and not what i am paying for.

But if my mechanic charged me half price and did a check to prove it is running perfectly, I would probably go with that, rather than charge at least double the price and only change a couple of £1 filters.
You see its down to choice, either pay £49 and get a certificate and a report to say its working fine, or pay £100 and get a certificate and and the same report (if you are lucky, as these guys think a old service means they dont need an analyser) to prove its working OK. Oh but yes I forgot it may also have been hoovered out.
I prefer to side with BG than you.

Well you are wrong. You should be taking the case off and giving the appliance a visual inspection as the very least, if you arent even doing that then you are ripping customers off.

One analyser check does not comfirm that everything is "running fine", if you believe that then you have no clue about boilers and really shouldnt be working on them and declaring them safe.

I being an old git worked for BG before it was BG. In my service it went from being a service provider to merely a sales machine and customers are falling for this rubbish
I'd be happy to keep an Ideal Mexico in service if it was safe rather than bulling the customer into a new boiler et al which will only last a fraction of the life of their existing boiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to servicing adverts £49 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock