1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Secondary Hot Water Return on Pumped Shower supply. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Markpoint

Markpoint New Member

New Shower being installed - thermo mixer - new shower is around 60 feet from HW cyclinder, multiple swept 90 deg bends plus around 10 feet of vertical rise, so negative head - 22mm pipe is installed (15mm last 1 meter) - without pump - dribble so intend fitting dedicated Salmander 3 bar pump with cold mains stepped down to 2-3 bar to equalise.

Owner wants a hot water return to minimise hot water waiting time.
    There is 15mm pipework in place but not connected anywhere.

Can't see how I can fit a HW return to a dedicated 3 bar pumped supply.
    My thinking is a 3 bar supply would not take long to flow to the shower head.

Any ideas??

2. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

You need to think this through. What happens to the pump when you install this return?

3. Markpoint

Markpoint New Member

Hi Dave, pump will sense flow and kick in taking the whole HW 22mm and return up to 3 bar back into HW cylinder. So my thinking is it cant be done unless someone has a bright idea or find a single pump that has a timer to run as a secondary return pump for say 30 mins before use, shutdown or autosense shower or basin use and then kick in again as at 3 bar to provide the required shower pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

It's a non starter. The only time you'd use a return like that is on an HP system such as an UVC.

5. Markpoint

Markpoint New Member

Thanks Dave..

• Like Like x 1