Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikerbas

Our college tutor told us when passing a gas pipe through a cavity wall to outside through a sleave you seal the end on the outside so any gas escape can be smelt inside the property,he said if you did it the otherway you wouldnt know if you had a gas leak.
I said to him in the BPEC gas book it states the over way round
What do you guys think
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
your correct seal the inside so leaks to outside, always has been the routine to follow, and you have it in writing from your bpec book.

its common sense when you think about it,you would not want to smell gas inside the propety:cool:

does This rule change all the time?
I'm sure it's inside then outside then inside again.

I would never say for sure which way it is

Just to throw a spanner into the works whats yor views on sealing a sleeve that passes from a cupboard under the stairs (where the meter is) into kitchen?? Seal it cupboard side or kitchen side.

[FONT=CenturySchoolbook,Bold][FONT=CenturySchoolbook,Bold]
the following in copied straight from BS6891
"8.10 Sleeves
8.10.1​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]Sleeves shall be of a material capable of containing gas, e.g. copper, steel, polyethylene or polyvinyl
chloride (PVC).

[FONT=CenturySchoolbook,Bold][FONT=CenturySchoolbook,Bold]
8.10.2​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]Sleeves shall pass through the full width of the wall or the full thickness of the floor. Sleeves shall
not impair the fire resistance of a building. The annular space between the pipe and the sleeve shall be
sealed at one end to the pipe with a flexible fire resistant compound. Where a sleeve passes through an

exterior wall, the seal shall be on the inside of the wall."

Just to throw a spanner into the works whats yor views on sealing a sleeve that passes from a cupboard under the stairs (where the meter is) into kitchen?? Seal it cupboard side or kitchen side.

i tend to suggest a sensible approach to which side of an internal wall i seal, ie if a gas leak appears which side would identify the leak quicker, if eachy peachy, i then decide to seal on the side that can be inspected, as i know all engineers are very good at their job and may question my pipe not being sealed in the sleeve if they cant see it, if both sides are accessible i simply seal on whatever side i find myself on when i go back round sealing the pipes after TT

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is one of those rules that kind of contradicts itself.

Rule of thumb is if your going through a cavity you seal the inner side but then again if your going through a meter box into the home you then seal the outer of it which is in the meter box.

This one is one of those rules that kind of contradicts itself.

Rule of thumb is if your going through a cavity you seal the inner side but then again if your going through a meter box into the home you then seal the outer of it which is in the meter box.

there isnt a contradiction in the two scenarios you gave, if a gas pipe enters a property inside a meter box and is sealed in the inside any escaping gas from a major gas leak at the meter will enter and fill the cavity of the house, therefore you seal the pipe inside the meter box, a normal gas pipe is a far less risk of leaking and forcing gas into the cavity as 1) there are less things to leak as there is no meter, 2) the escaping gas is not confined inside the box and therefore less likely to be forced into the cavity 3) the meter could be medium pressure and therefore amount of gas could be seriously high inside box

The contradiction is that the the in both cases the pipe goes through the cavity. :)

The contradiction is that the the in both cases the pipe goes through the cavity. :)

it is different because of the potential of gas forced into the cavity from both scenarios is vastly different

Seal pipe INSIDE meter box

seal pipe on internal side in all other occasioans.

when going through one room to another seal in room with smaller volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
There is no smell coming out of my sink plughole, never has been. There are no water leaks in the piping and U-bend under my sink. Have tried on several occasions using very strong drain un-blocker and odour remover, to remove smell, but has not worked. Sink plughole never blocks up and water...
Replies
Views
Mr P Wilson
M
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in kitchen (Retrospective view of alternate option when it was found that promise of removing pipes from airing cupboard could not be fulfilled). Battery...
Replies
Views
Hello, First of all, I need to say that I know nothing, absolutely nothing to plumbing. I am posting in this forum because I am losing my wits here. I bought a tenement flat (Scotland, high ceilings very old flats, stone buildings) and when I moved in just a few weet ago I noticed that the...
Replies
Views
J
I say 'engineers' but is that actually true in the strictest sense of the word? I guess that depends on how you interpret the work of a Plumber but it's by the by. I'll put a disclaimer in here so as to not confuse some. I am not attempting a repair of my own, I am not a DiY enthusiast where...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock