Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing a leaking strap boss onto 3 inch LCC (Cast Iron) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I've been asked to re seal a plastic strap boss which someone has bodged onto an cast iron waste stack. The strap boss is just above the old cast iron collar. The hole which it discharges through into the stack has been drilled slightly too small to work with the ridge on a 3 inch plastic strap boss...This was not my mistake initially, but through bad luck it has fallen to me to resolve it as quickly, cheaply & professionally as possible Is there a proprietary fitting which can re make the joint easily ? Any suggestions & help would be appreciated

This is something I have often thought about myself as it seems ridiculous if you can't put a saddle boss onto cast for the sake of lack of a suitable fitting.

As far as the hole is concerned, I would think you would be able to file it out or use an abrasive stone held in a drill/Dremel/etc. Or perhaps a holesaw? I have used a holesaw on a cast iron hopper before now.

At college we were taught that cast iron is incredibly hard and brittle and almost impossible to work with. My teacher then admitted she hadn't ever actually worked with it. My own experience with cast rainwater goods is that cast can be cut with a grinder fitted with a metal cutting disc and can be drilled with standard metal bits. When drilling, I never lubricate (the carbon in the iron is sufficient) and I use my combi drill with a low ratchet setting to reduce the risk of cracking the gutter if the bit snags at the end of the hole. Hopefully you will be able to translate this advice into something relevant to your hole issue.

Use a multi tool and cut away the old boss completely. Then file the hole out to required size and remove rest of the boss with a flat file and start again.

I hate botch work but when you're faced with dealing with the remnants of some plant pot's work, what can you do?
The best solution is always to put the whole thing right but that will be seen as extreme I know.

Cast iron is brittle but soft and easy to work with when Cutting, grinding, drilling, tapping, filing etc etc.
I would do as @Ric2013 said if the hole is too small. Open it up a bit, clean the surfaces off and seal the boss in. you could use CT as someone else mentioned if the strap holds it in place tight enough.

What like this one (not to be confused with BOSS-Cast which is 22mm hole and only suitable for condensate);

Black Mechanical Soil Pipe Boss Connector

I'd be inclined to try to see if it fits. While I would prefer to fit steel or iron to iron, if this works well, then it isn't a bodge. Seems downright wasteful to scrap a perfectly decent iron stack just because you want to add a new connexion to it.

Reply to Sealing a leaking strap boss onto 3 inch LCC (Cast Iron) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
Morning everyone. Got an issue with an internal soil stack boss strap failure. The boss strap had been sealed originally with silicon which has failed and caused a leak. The soil stack is accessible but it’s tight working area. Do I seal the boss strap with OB1, cross my fingers and hope it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've got a toilet that's been leaking due to a faulty seal with the pan connector. We've had a plumber in to replace the pan connector, but it hasn't done anything to fix the leak (and has cost us over ÂŁ200). The plumber has told us that it can't be fixed due to the height of the old...
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have the exact same issue as this chap had 4 years ago, however I am unable to post on that thread and no solution was ever arrived at (Cast Iron Boss for 40mm waste - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/cast-iron-boss-for-40mm-waste.89358/). I have already read a lot of threads on...
Replies
Views
Hi there amateur here looking for help again and as always any advice is very much appreciated :) We are working on a big renovation (our house and inlaws that we all chucked in for as a family) and previously had installed cast iron radiators in one half of the property. Apart from a few...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock