Search the forum,

Discuss SDS Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcniven

Lads i need to pickup a new sds drill tonight from b&q or screwfix what you think would be best one

Those dewalt 2kg one are terrible i need it for drilling masonry blow offs etc.

I gought one of those Titan things from Screwfix great drill but chucks dust in your face a the speed of sound !!!!!!!
I guess alright if not used in dusty area or near floor etc !
Last 2 bosch have been rubbish !

I got one of those DeWalt 2kg sds drills from Screwfix. Regularly use it with 1000mm long 30mm masonry drills through old stonework. Never missed a beat yet.

Mike but when you use a good drill you will feel the difference! It does do it, but not very quick and well, time is money

Iv already got the dewalt sds 2kg from sfix just find it doesnt have a great performance to it good for 6mm masonry holes but not drillin blow offs etc

I gought one of those Titan things from Screwfix great drill but chucks dust in your face a the speed of sound !!!!!!!
I guess alright if not used in dusty area or near floor etc !
Last 2 bosch have been rubbish !

not quite sure, but think i got one of those as well from SF.
reckon it was £35.99 at the time. FIVE yrs now and still going strong. Saying that, I think I better get a replacement as its just a matter of time. Do have a Bosch corded drill that packs a punch though. So if the SDS fails, I'll just use the Bosch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384371665.231120.jpg

Ended up with this cant complain 3 yr warranty cost me £50 lol looks heavy enough

get some goggles mate - mark will tell you they fire bits of carbon brush out - lent one off my mate and used it near my face doing core hole it nearly blinded me.

Haha johnny , i had no option needed it for tmra AM

It looks robust enough & the good ones are £400+ the dewalts & makitas on sfix priced between £100-150 i already have they aint big enough

just get an sds max if your not happy with a sds plus. Most sds plus drills are fine for 5-15mm holes, if you need to bang out alot of 20-40mm hole get a sds max. the drill bits cost alot but you will not complain about there power, great for kangewin too.

[DLMURL="http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/D25762K/"]Home - Products - Powertools - Hammers - Midsize Hammers - 52mm SDS-Max Combination Hammer - DEWALT[/DLMURL]

this one will drill 52mm with standard drill bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hitachi one a screwfix is the best 2kg for money. I would always recommend sds max but it's expensive as already said!

get some goggles mate - mark will tell you they fire bits of carbon brush out - lent one off my mate and used it near my face doing core hole it nearly blinded me.
Yes my Titan is a nightmare for flinging bits at you !
Great drill for the money but goggles are essential !

That drill will kill your arms, my bosch cost 100 plus vat (Makita) and I have drilled 40mm with it. I would of gone for Makita over the one you got as it is so heavy, your arms will get tired fast

That Mac Allister drill just looks identical to Nutool, Titan & other makes, so obviously made in the same Chinese factory I bet.
I have two of the 800 watt SDS Nutool drills & sadly I can honestly say that they are a total waste of money. Both stopped working hammer only setting & fairly poor at drilling anyhow. Dont want to dump them but they are in their cases gathering dust.
I have a AEG drill (SDS) & it drills 20mm holes easy & is light to hold. Hasn't been abused but must be 20years old.

The old AEG kit was good stuff but I think they were taken over by Black & Decker Then ELU was also part of them and I think now all Dewalt ?

The old AEG kit was good stuff but I think they were taken over by Black & Decker Then ELU was also part of them and I think now all Dewalt ?

Not sure who owns them, but if it is Dewalt then it puts me off them!
My AEG is made in Germany & is a plasticky casing with a handle that tends to push onto the plastic chuck & wear it, but besides that minor criticism, it has been brilliant & never fails.
i also have a Hilti sds but it is for showing off. :smile:

The older blue AEG's were the same as Milwaukee but different colour. I had a few of them. Decent drills.
Their stuff changed when they brought out the orange ones and look cheaper made now but i've never used one so can't comment.

Btw Basil my old ELU flip saw is 25 years old and still going strong and better than many of the new ones on the market today :smile:

Yes I had an ELU flip saw a great bit of kit the new ones are nothing like they were ?

i have been told those mc'allister's are the same build spec as bosch with mag alloy gear box's but less name dosh!!!!

from what i can remember aeg is part of the same group as milwaukee and ryobi etc...............

black and decker, elu/dewalt, stanley, porter cable, bostitch etc....... part of the same group of companies.

View attachment 15788

Ended up with this cant complain 3 yr warranty cost me £50 lol looks heavy enough

I have got this drill, but different brand and have done loads of cores with it, it does have a clutch on it torqued quite a bit higher than a 2kg drill, so you need to be awake when it bites. It is just far too heavy as an everyday drill, this is when a dedicated core drills come in to there own.

The older blue AEG's were the same as Milwaukee but different colour. I had a few of them. Decent drills.
Their stuff changed when they brought out the orange ones and look cheaper made now but i've never used one so can't comment.

Btw Basil my old ELU flip saw is 25 years old and still going strong and better than many of the new ones on the market today :smile:
had a blue aeg got it from sale in b and q £50 best drill it lasted 3 years and 6 months and it was abused drilling 5" core holes and used with 28mm sds drill bit

Just bought that makita on sale at screwfix. Seems a good drill. My Bosch's trigger died. Bloke I gave it to fixed it for a fiver (doh).

Anyway, I realised, the first thing I do these days with an SDS drill is lob the handle in the bin. What's the point. Most clutches are so weak, my 92 year old gran could hold on to a stuck drill. (Yes I'm still coring with an SDS - haven't replaced my nicked core drill yet. It's only been 3 years, can't bring myself to spend twice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to SDS Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock