Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Scratching my head (open vent) in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

I need to tap in to the central heating due to an extension with underfloor heating that’s gone in. I want to be more than sure before tapping into the system due to its complexity and being an open vent I’m going to freeze the pipes I need to, so I can work on them. I was hoping to double check on here to avoid making a mistake.

The two 28’s I believe are the flow and returns for the cylinder and the two 22’s on the left are for the Heating. I noticed there’s a tee branching off and running alongside the heating pipes. Is that a bypass or the actual vent for the heating? Never worked on these systems before so sorry if I come across as clueless.

I think I’ve attached a photo of the boiler. Thanks!

EE5F2369-DA86-4648-AB8F-94909163C386.jpeg

1A6EC646-1238-4959-9979-EA880D31DE3C.jpeg

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Good luck

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EvilDrPorkChop

EvilDrPorkChop GSR

UFH on open vent, forget it :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

Really?

5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

No

6. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

I was being sarcastic as well, if you can give it learn to take it.

7. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Shame I wasn't first time, petal.

8. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

9. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

Had problems in the past I take it?

10. EvilDrPorkChop

EvilDrPorkChop GSR

IMO open vented and UFH is just bad practice. Air locks, more risk of dirt in system (Imagine a blocked UFH circuit!), more noisy. TBH running UFH off that boiler anyway wouldn't be ideal, they need a new boiler and system upgrade! UFH running more often, the HW is always going to be on due to the gravity. There's loads of reasons for suggesting an upgrade is due.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

I agree with you, I did suggest ages ago but they were adamant on keeping the same system. I just want to tap into the right pipes, get it running and walk away to be honest.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. EvilDrPorkChop

EvilDrPorkChop GSR

To be honest you should have advised them that UFH isn't suitable for that system and refused to do it.

And in terms of getting it going and walking away, I don't think it'll ever work properly. You're opening a can of worms, that I wouldn't be opening :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mranon1989

Mranon1989 Member

Well no mention of underfloor not working on open vent systems in the guides used throughout the industry and no one willing to just tell me so I’m just figure it out myself. Thanks for nothing. Lovely peeps

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2019
  14. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Edited that for you OP

15. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Pope on a soap, thought the op was a diyer.

Ye gads!!

• Like Like x 1